Arizona EZ-Fletch

How to's, questions, and build alongs for those traditional archers who are interested in building their own custom arrows.
Forum rules
This area strictly for arrows. Building, flight or broadhead flight.
Cookies

Arizona EZ-Fletch

#1 Post by Cookies »

It's here! It's here!

My Christmas present cam in today: my new fletching jig. As promised, I'm going to make up a quick review of it:

This thing is BRILLIANT!! Super easy to use, and straight. Fast, too! I only did one arrow on my lunch break, but I an totally believe the company's claim of "fletch a dozen arrows in half an hour". Watch:

This is my jig, as it came from Bass Pro. I got the EZ-fletch Pro, Right-hand Helical version.

I prepped my arrow by removing the old, crappy Blazer vanes that Victory arrows come with from the factory (this one had already lost a vane just from shooting it). I scraped off the old glue and scrubbed it with a Scotch-Brite pad, then gave it a wipe with an alcohol prep pad (readily available to me for free where I work) so the glue sticks well.

These are my new feathers. I went with the most God-awful, unnatural colour scheme I could think of, so my arrows are easy to identify (and find when I lose them in the bush).

I set my toaster oven at work to TOAST, Level 5 (3 minutes, 40 seconds) to warm up my pizza, then got to work. Here are the arrow and feathers in the jig. The cock feather goes in the odd-coloured arm. There's a nock bar in the bottom of the jig to hold the arrow centered. You can turn it to align your feathers as you see fit (I found out after the fact that the bar is set to fletch with cock feather up, not out :oops: . This means I can fletch several different styles of arrow, depending on how I choose to align my nock. I forgot to bring my glue with me and had to walk back to my workstation to grab it (about 45 seconds).

Lock the arms, slide the keeper cap down the arrow to keep the arm tips closed. Here's the rig standing up on the lunchroom table

And voila! one arrow, ready for battle! nice little helical to the feathers, they're all centered and the same length. Took a picture, then admired my work for the 20 seconds remaining before my pizza was done. Yup: three minutes, 20 seconds to fletch a clean arrow shaft, including almost a full minute round trip to acquire glue!

As long as I'm gentle with the glue, I shouldn't have an issue with sticky arms, but they're impervious to acetone if I make a boo-boo.

Cookies

Re: Arizona EZ-Fletch

#2 Post by Cookies »

Kirk, I think I recall you mentioning g you want to get one of these as a gift for Little Kirk. Do it! You'll never look back!
They also make a "mini" version, for doing those 2" vanes, in case your son is sworn to them.

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#3 Post by Carpdaddy »

Looking good there Cookies!

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#4 Post by Captainkirk »

Cookies wrote:Kirk, I think I recall you mentioning g you want to get one of these as a gift for Little Kirk. Do it! You'll never look back!
They also make a "mini" version, for doing those 2" vanes, in case your son is sworn to them.
"Little Kirk" (Andrew) is two inches taller than me now and will be 28 next month... :lol:
Yes, while he shoots trad on occasion he is hot & heavy into wheelie bows with carbons and 2" vanes. He wanted to borrow my Bitz (no way, kid! Keep yer mittz off my Bitz!) but since mine is a right helical, it won't work on a straight fletch vane (that's my story and I'm stickin' to it!) so I wanted to get him an EZ-Fletch for his birthday next month. Just wanted to hear from one who actually used it, and you've done that. So...THANKS! :mrgreen:
Aim small, miss small!

Graps

#5 Post by Graps »

That thing looks slick .
"Maybe the truly handicapped people are the ones that don't need God as much." ~ Joni Eareckson Tada

Cookies

#6 Post by Cookies »

Slick as Goose...uhh...stuff :oops: :lol:

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#7 Post by Captainkirk »

Cookies; I bought my son the EZ-Fletch as an early B-day present for my son based on your recommendation. He loves it and has fletched/refletched well over a dozen arrows already. He is shooting vanes, so I got him the straight model.
Thanks for the review and pictures.
Aim small, miss small!

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#8 Post by Carpdaddy »

I purchased a cheap unknown name fletcher some 20+ years ago planning to get a better one later but am still using that thing. :D These look nice!

Kybownut

#9 Post by Kybownut »

I had one several years ago when I was shooting aluminum with vanes from a wheel bow, fletched a few woodies too. Seem to work great!

Cookies

#10 Post by Cookies »

Captainkirk wrote:Cookies; I bought my son the EZ-Fletch as an early B-day present for my son based on your recommendation. He loves it and has fletched/refletched well over a dozen arrows already. He is shooting vanes, so I got him the straight model.
Thanks for the review and pictures.
Glad he likes it Kirk; I'm glad I could be of assistance!

Return to “All about arrows”