How do you carry your arrows? How many do you take out?

How to's, questions, and build alongs for those traditional archers who are interested in building their own custom arrows.
Forum rules
This area strictly for arrows. Building, flight or broadhead flight.
Longtrad

How do you carry your arrows? How many do you take out?

#1 Post by Longtrad »

Hey guys just wondering what you all like in terms of quivers and ammo rations.

I have been using a back quiver for small game, most the time with 6 arrows or less. If I bring too many arrows out with me I seem to get reckless with them lol.

For big game I have been using the big jim 4 arrow quiver hood with the 5 arrow gripper so I can take a judo. 4 BHs has been plenty so far but the quiver has a bit more wiggle in it than I care for.

What works for you good folk? How many arrows do you need? How many do you want? :lol: ;)

stumper

Re: How do you carry your arrows? How many do you take out?

#2 Post by stumper »

Back quiver. 6 arrows or so.
Nothing clears a troubled mind like shooting a bow.

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#3 Post by Carpdaddy »

Big Jims bow quiver and sometimes back quiver with four arrows. Extra when I'm mad at squirrels.

Gamestalker

#4 Post by Gamestalker »

I don't like bow quivers & haven't found a back quiver that I like yet, so I use a hip quiver that holds (I think) six arrows. I used to fill it, but for the last several years I usually only take three arrows in it though. Two with broadheads & one with either a small game head or a target tip.

How often do you get more than one shot anyway?
I can only remember (that may be the problem! LOL) only once or twice that I ever even had a second shot.
There was one day several years ago though, that I had three or four arrows with me & it was one of those days when the deer were extremely active. I was probably the most practiced I had ever been & was shooting very well at targets. (key word targets :oops: ) I was in a tree stand near some grape vines & had deer coming by about every few minutes. That day, I couldn't hit the side of a barn if I was standing inside of it! After I had let all of my arrows fly, I got down & retrieved them & climbed back up in my stand. Then I missed again! :oops: Sheeees.... time to give up & go home! :x

Jose

#5 Post by Jose »

On my elk hunt I used a four arrow bow quiver since I had to wear a day back pack. Normally I use a Safari Tuff back quiver with around five arrows for hunting. I can put small items in the pocket. I use a string tracker on my bow for those tough retrievals so mounting a bow quiver would be to much.

Shadowhntr

#6 Post by Shadowhntr »

For Whitetails, I like a very lightweight bow quiver. I use Eagles Flight tall mesa, and their Chief. Both in a three arrow setup.

I like 3, because of the remote chance for a second shot, and if that happens successfully, I still want one to approach my downed deer with. Carrying more is extra weight on my bow, and a needless hassle for me. 3 arrows are worlds of plenty on any hunt I could ever go on for whitetail deer.

For ducks, id want at least 30.....lol!
The element of surprise can never be replaced by persistence.

Ole Dave

#7 Post by Ole Dave »

A friend had the heavy leather and hardwood "stick" between the top and bottom cups. I lined the top cup with chrome tanned sheepskin to keep fletches quiet.

The large one holds a bunch. I made a small one that holds only 4 arrow. Bottom cup had foam to hold the BH's quiet and secure.

I put a fleece waterproof fletch cover over the top cup to keep out rain/dirt.

I can reach back and lift out ONE shaft without making a lot of motion reaching over my shoulder and "waving" at the critters. In brush, it slips horizontal under my arm and nothing falls out.

I too dislike the imbalance a bow quiver imparts to a fine bow, nor am I fond of doing calisthenics to pull or return arrows to a lakota style back quiver...just me.
All we have and call our own, once belonged to someone else, and will again. Our purpose here is not to serve ourselves.

Bigfoot SAS LB (47# LB limbs 38# Semi Static RC limbs)

Couple of old Bear bows

Jamesh76

#8 Post by Jamesh76 »

strap on quiver, Eagles flight or thunderhorn. 3-4 arrows.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#9 Post by Captainkirk »

Bear bow quiver. Holds 4 but I take three...one less arrow to make noise. I would feel comfortable with two.

Aim small, miss small!

Mohawk

#10 Post by Mohawk »

I have a selway that would hold 5, but I carry 3 broadheads and some sort of squirrel head. One never knows when he might need to pin 1 of them chatty turds to a neighboring tree. :twisted:

Return to “All about arrows”