4 inch vs 5 in

How to's, questions, and build alongs for those traditional archers who are interested in building their own custom arrows.
Forum rules
This area strictly for arrows. Building, flight or broadhead flight.
Cody2306

4 inch vs 5 in

#1 Post by Cody2306 »

Ok I was wondering is there any difference between the 4 inch and 5 inch fletching. Besides the obvious inch. The arrows I'm shooting now have 4 inch I am mainly curious. I tried doing a little research. It there isn't much on that topic that I could find.

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

Re: 3 inch vs 4 inch fletching

#2 Post by Carpdaddy »

I dropped from 5" to 4" with no issues but never tried 3". I did however try some 2" feathers once that gave me some problems that may or may not have been me. I'll be watching this one to see what others have tried.

Shadowhntr

#3 Post by Shadowhntr »

I've used 3"...but I prefer 4" or even 5". The shorter the fletching, the better tuned system you will need AND better release. Since release tends to be the main problem trad archers have, I'd go longer then 3"
The element of surprise can never be replaced by persistence.

Cody2306

#4 Post by Cody2306 »

Ohh mine are 4 inch . So I guess it would be between 4 and 5 inch

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#5 Post by Captainkirk »

On a hunting weight bow with a broadhead I think you would find 3" feathers a little weak for the job. I generally go with 5" if using 3-fletch and when I finally do up a set of 4-fletch arrows I will use 4".
More fletching area = increased stability, though you may gain a bit of noise and lose a tiny bit of speed. Arrows shot from a compound with a rest using a release oscillate up and down while arrows shot from the shelf using fingers oscillate side-to-side. The large fletching area tends to stabilize the sideways oscillations (AKA Archer's Paradox) so in my book, the more, the better.
Here's a really cool slo-mo video showing just what you are up against, Cody...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WzWrcpzuAp8
Aim small, miss small!

Cody2306

#6 Post by Cody2306 »

Yeah guys I guess I assumed my fletchings were 3 inch I threw a tape on it and it's 4 inch

I edited post

Captainkirk
Site Admin

Re: 4 inch vs 5 in

#7 Post by Captainkirk »

Cody, the thing you need to consider is total fletching area. 3 5" feathers gives roughly 15 inches while 4 4" gives you 16"...compared to 3 4" which is only 12". Unless you are having issues with speed or noise I would say go with the most surface area you can especially when shooting a heavy FOC with a heavy broadhead. Field points...even 3" feathers work OK. It's having to counteract the 'weathervane effect' of a big heavy broadhead you are concerned with.
Aim small, miss small!

Longtrad

#8 Post by Longtrad »

Most trad shooters run with 3 or 4 4" feather or 3 5" feathers. Some who really want their arrow to stabilize quickly will even go 4x5"

The thing to think about with fletching is the total number of inches of feather you have on your arrow. 4x4"= 16" of fletch while 3x5"= 15" so these two different arrow set ups are pretty comparable as far as their ability to stabilize an arrow.

While more fletch will stabilize your arrows faster they will also scrub a little speed off the arrow and make them more susptable to wind drift.

The height of the fletch plays a large roll in how noisey it flys and how much is slows down the arrow, much more so than the length is of the fletch in my opinion.

Cody2306

#9 Post by Cody2306 »

Good info guys thanks

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#10 Post by Carpdaddy »

Cody2306 wrote:I edited post
:lol: :lol: Glad you mentioned that, thought I had finished losing it as I read through this again! Me talking about 3" and it somehow disappeared in your first post! :oops: :lol: whew!

Return to “All about arrows”