Time to get serious and call in the heavyweights!

How to's, questions, and build alongs for those traditional archers who are interested in building their own custom arrows.
Forum rules
This area strictly for arrows. Building, flight or broadhead flight.
Captainkirk
Site Admin

Re: Time to get serious and call in the heavyweights!

#16 Post by Captainkirk »

This was, and is, a great thread!
Aim small, miss small!

Graps

#17 Post by Graps »

That's lotsa FOC right there.
"Maybe the truly handicapped people are the ones that don't need God as much." ~ Joni Eareckson Tada

Graps

#18 Post by Graps »

With a setup like that, all you have to do is drop the arrow from your tree stand and it would be a complete pass through. :shock:
"Maybe the truly handicapped people are the ones that don't need God as much." ~ Joni Eareckson Tada

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#19 Post by Captainkirk »

At the distances trad hunters generally take a shot (12-15 yards) really not much of a chance for adverse arrow flight on the heavyweights.
Aim small, miss small!

Shadowhntr

#20 Post by Shadowhntr »

Captainkirk wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:53 pm At the distances trad hunters generally take a shot (12-15 yards) really not much of a chance for adverse arrow flight on the heavyweights.
I've been scratching my head on this one...about adverse flight with heavy heads. I'm not getting how I can get such great flight out of heads pushing 400gr ( I've actually shot up to 430 gr head), while others have trouble making 300gr fly, with similar bows? Not talking about arrows dropping, but erratic flight. Is that what is meant by adverse flight? If so, The only possible answer I can come up with has to be spine mis-matches for the head weight.
Right now I'm shooting a pretty darn light shaft at 7.3 gr per inch. I've loaded up 370gr worth of end weight on those light-ish shafts and out of my 40lb Whip they are like they are spinning true as a bullet the whole way....provided I get a good release or no heavy winds. Those two factors are always there though no matter what arrow I shoot. Erratic flight HAS to be a tuning issue, not necessarily a heavy head weight issue....am I thinking right here? As long as you don't mind the drop, you should be able to tune an arrow in, to fly straight even with 500 grain heads. I guess so long as you don't run out of spine for your poundage, length, and bow anyway....right? :?
The element of surprise can never be replaced by persistence.

gettin closer

#21 Post by gettin closer »

I like to shoot the stiffer arrows and add the heavy brass inserts and shoot 300 grains up front! If you want to add weight to the total arrow, you can easily use weekeater string. It is stiff so once it is cut to your arrow length, it will not fold up inside. There are different thicknesses and designs for different gpi depending on what you need and odds are, you can find it in your garage!

Just a thought.

Shadowhntr

#22 Post by Shadowhntr »

gettin closer wrote: Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:42 pm I like to shoot the stiffer arrows and add the heavy brass inserts and shoot 300 grains up front! If you want to add weight to the total arrow, you can easily use weekeater string. It is stiff so once it is cut to your arrow length, it will not fold up inside. There are different thicknesses and designs for different gpi depending on what you need and odds are, you can find it in your garage!

Just a thought.
Alright another heavy head user!

Dan

#23 Post by Dan »

I start with a fairly heavy tapered carbon shaft with a 100 gr insert and 250 gr point they weigh 715 gr total.

Shadowhntr

#24 Post by Shadowhntr »

Even out of a 45lb bow that arrow will have some punch Dan.

Graps

#25 Post by Graps »

That's handy with a string tracker, you get two strings to follow.

Return to “All about arrows”