An idea, of sorts...

How to's, questions, and build alongs for those traditional archers who are interested in building their own custom arrows.
Forum rules
This area strictly for arrows. Building, flight or broadhead flight.
Captainkirk
Site Admin

An idea, of sorts...

#1 Post by Captainkirk »

While I was building up my latest arrow, I got to thinking about tuning, and then about shortening the 32" shafts if the need arises. Yeah, I've seen the fancy saws in the pro shops, and I have a compound miter chop saw, but that seems like a bit of overkill. No, best way in my mind was to just use a fine blade coping saw...but how to keep the shaft from moving around?
Simple. I found a chunk of scrap 2 X 3 lying around. I drilled 3 holes straight through; 3/8, 5/16 and 1/4, then put a saw cut right down the center and split it in two halves. Slip an arrow in the appropriate hole then clamp it in a vise. The end of the 'clamp' acts as a straight-edge for your saw; a couple passes and you're left with a straight, clean cut.

This might work with carbons as well, but carbon dust is nastier than wood and really requires more safety equipment than most folks use. See this article on Tradbow.com (the TBM web page):

http://tradbow.com/cutting-carbon-arrows/
Aim small, miss small!

Longtrad

Re: An idea, of sorts...

#2 Post by Longtrad »

slick idea there Kirk

if you have a tile saw handy they work great on carbon and keep the dust down as well.

Shadowhntr

#3 Post by Shadowhntr »

Neat idea!

Here is an economical mini cut off that comes with a steel fine tooth blade suitable for super easy wooden arrow cutting. With the purchase of fiber blades it's great for carbon and aluminum too. I love mine.

https://m.harborfreight.com/2-in-mini-b ... 20provided
The element of surprise can never be replaced by persistence.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#4 Post by Captainkirk »

Leave it to you, Jason. You are a baaaaaad influence on me, brother...
After I stopped in to get my cresting paints yesterday, I was really, really close to the 'Harbor Fright' store, and I heard a still, small voice within calling softly "You need something". Now, I couldn't think of anything I needed offhand, but it's best to listen to those voices...unless they are telling you that you are Son of Sam (there I go dating myself again...)
Since it wasn't telling me I was a son-of-a anything, and I had some time to kill (rather than people), I complied. I could look for a new coping saw for my shaft trimming blocks.
Well, I found one, for like 6 bucks. But I heard the voice whistling at me from the far end of the store like a roving puppy to "come over here", and when I did, I found this...

Guess which one I bought, the coping saw or the cutoff saw?

Curse you, Shadow...Quit making me spend money! :shock:
Aim small, miss small!

Shadowhntr

#5 Post by Shadowhntr »

Lol! I wish I'd known you were interested...id of warned you about the one small fault it has. When cutting an arrow, look under the little vise and make sure to hold the play in it so the crack under eyeballs even. There is a bit of play in it so you can cut slightly crooked if you don't pay attention. With wood however ....its not NEARLY as critical as the other arrow materials.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#6 Post by Captainkirk »

Shadowhntr wrote:Lol! I wish I'd known you were interested...id of warned you about the one small fault it has. When cutting an arrow, look under the little vise and make sure to hold the play in it so the crack under eyeballs even. There is a bit of play in it so you can cut slightly crooked if you don't pay attention. With wood however ....its not NEARLY as critical as the other arrow materials.
Right. Gonna taper it anyway. And I wish I'd known I was interested, too. It was your evil subliminal influence that led me down the path of depravity. :twisted:
Aim small, miss small!

Crazynate

#7 Post by Crazynate »

Nice idea Kirk. Wish I was as handy as you with that stuff.
Goodnight Chesty Wherever You Are.

Shadowhntr

#8 Post by Shadowhntr »

Lol...i do love mine. It's a handy lil tool. I think James has one too.

Return to “All about arrows”