I don't get it.

How to's, questions, and build alongs for those traditional archers who are interested in building their own custom arrows.
Forum rules
This area strictly for arrows. Building, flight or broadhead flight.
Captainkirk
Site Admin

I don't get it.

#1 Post by Captainkirk »

:shock:
When using the 3Rivers dynamic spine calculator, my arrow's static and dynamic spine should come within 2# of each other...theoretically. I can't get it to come anywhere near that number using my Bear Grizzly numbers and 11/32 shafts with 45/50 spine...no matter the point weight. The heavier I go the worse it gets, best numbers were down around 100 (field points). Is this a bunch of hogwash, am I doing it ll wrong, or should I be shooting a much stiffer spined shaft?

https://www.3riversarchery.com/dynamic- ... chery.html
Aim small, miss small!

Captainkirk
Site Admin

Re: I don't get it.

#2 Post by Captainkirk »

OK, regroup.
I got the numbers to match up pretty close...PROVIDED I shoot a 50# spine and cut arrow length back to 31"
These shafts are all marked 11/32", 45-50 spine; the two I checked on my "Rube Goldberg" spine checker tested at 42#. Of course, this does not account for parallax when viewing the measure (graduated in 1/16 of an inch)
Since this first batch of orange arrows I'm constructing are for backyard target shooting, I'm sure they will be fine. But it makes me think...a whole lot...about my hunting arrows.
Aim small, miss small!

Longbowfanatic

#3 Post by Longbowfanatic »

I have had troubles trying to work out the right arrow with the internet based calculators too. As for wood arrows, I would recommend purchasing a arrow test pack. I think they let you pick three arrow spines. Mix and match arrow tips weight helps fine tune the best arrow spine. Out of my 45# A&H bow, I am shooting 60-65 shafts with 190 grain tips. That said, I can also shoot 55-60# with 125 tips. Go figure?

All that said, I have heard that older Bear bows like weaker spine arrows. I'm still trying to find the best arrows for my '65 Kodiak.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#4 Post by Captainkirk »

I have a 3Rivers test set...minus a couple that I broke. :oops:

I am rather nonplussed at the fact that shafts spined by 3Rivers at "45/50" could measure out at 42#, though. Granted, my spine checker isn't exactly high-tech, but I think it's pretty close.
Aim small, miss small!

Longbowfanatic

#5 Post by Longbowfanatic »

I wish I had a spine tester. I would probably be surprised what my arrows spined out at. Have you considered calling 3Rivers and expressing your disappointment? Bet they would make it right for you!

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#6 Post by Captainkirk »

Longbowfanatic wrote:I wish I had a spine tester.
You can cobble up a "Rube Goldberg" spine tester like I did pretty quickly. All that's needed is a piece of wood maybe 30" long, a couple of cup hooks, a measure of some sort, a 2# weight, and a conversion chart. I'll post a write-up on mine here in the "All About Arrows" section if you are interested.

Longbowfanatic wrote: I would probably be surprised what my arrows spined out at. Have you considered calling 3Rivers and expressing your disappointment? Bet they would make it right for you!
Well, for 5# it's probably not worth the effort. I'm sure the shipping back and forth would negate any savings over just buying new shafts. 3R has never been kind on the shipping end of things, and I've expressed my displeasure before about that to them. What I CAN do is spine and weigh each shaft and put them in groups of three; that way you will have three closely matched hunting shafts or three closely matched target shafts. Since this batch is only for backyard target and/or stumping, I'm not going to get concerned. But it's interesting to know you're not always getting what you THINK you are getting.
Aim small, miss small!

Graps

#7 Post by Graps »

Kirk , don't overthink things .
"Maybe the truly handicapped people are the ones that don't need God as much." ~ Joni Eareckson Tada

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#8 Post by Carpdaddy »

Back in the day I shot woodies also. I also made my own spine calculator, a little different than yours I just looked at in another thread (good job) but same principle. I seem to remember many times that I could get a different reading by simply rotating or spinning the arrow to where the pressure hit the grain differently. I scratched my head and fretted a lot over it, then one day I just started finishing, fletching, and flinging them. If they didn't fly right after several attempts into the bucket they went. I even picked up cheap dowels from a local hardware store and used some of them, some did well and others hit the bucket. I think I may have just gave the long version of what Graps said! :lol: :ugeek:

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#9 Post by Captainkirk »

I don't argue the fact it's easy to over-think things, but if it makes my feeble little mind feel better, then it's harmless...right?
I like getting into the technical aspect of arrow building (woodies). It's one of those arts that is being rapidly lost.
Aim small, miss small!

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#10 Post by Carpdaddy »

As long as you are sharing your findings as you go. That way I get to learn without actually doing.

Return to “All about arrows”