The jury is still out...

How to's, questions, and build alongs for those traditional archers who are interested in building their own custom arrows.
Forum rules
This area strictly for arrows. Building, flight or broadhead flight.
Captainkirk
Site Admin

The jury is still out...

#1 Post by Captainkirk »

...concerning the Bohning fletch tape.
It's a great product, really. Very fast; you can fletch up an entire arrow in less time than it takes for your Fletch-Tite to take a set in the clamp. It seems to have plenty of 'stick' so far. Priced around the same as a tube of F-T and doesn't harden up on you if unused.
So what are the downsides?

*I can't see the darned stuff! I have to pull of my glasses and get 'in my face' to see what I'm doing.

*The backing can be tedious to get loose at times.

*You are trying to lay a roll of flat tape on a compound curve. Doesn't always work out perfectly.

*F-T is still needed on the ends of each feather to prevent lifting. So you're gonna have to buy some sort of fletching glue in addition to the tape regardless.

*I'm wondering how the tape will hold up to inclement weather or typical range abuse compared to cement?

Other than that, a fantastic product. I'm thinking THIS might ease installation use. Anyone tried it yet?

https://www.3riversarchery.com/bohning- ... enser.html
Aim small, miss small!

Longtrad

Re: The jury is still out...

#2 Post by Longtrad »

I like it the best out of what I have tried, my second choice is superglue gel, third choice is normal superglue. the tape is quick and simple but there is a bit of a learning curve on how to get the backing off.

My method is to put the feather in the clamp, put the tape down on the feather, cut the tape with a pair of small scissors, leaving about 1/8 or 1/16" tag at the bottom of the quill, then I press the extra tag end down firmly against the clamp to make it stick and use a thin bladed knife to peel away the backing. After I seat the feather I run my thumb nail along to quill to press the feather and tape down to the shaft real good.

I finish most of my fletching with a drop of glue at the front and back of the fletch but even on the arrows that don't have the extra glue I haven't had any issues with the tape letting loose, and it gets pretty dang hot here in the summer. I can Image prolonged heat could make the tape soft, but i think it would have to be mighty hot for quite a long time.

my fletchings tend to fail from the feather getting ripped off the quill rather than the quill being ripped off the arrow shaft. YMMV

stumper

#3 Post by stumper »

I’ve gone back to glue. I’m refletching less so therefore I’m saving time.
Nothing clears a troubled mind like shooting a bow.

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#4 Post by Carpdaddy »

The tape has done well for me on carbon, I have not tried the dispenser, didn’t seem to do as well on wood or cane. I now use Cheap super glue from Wally World, four packs for $1.49. Speeds up the process very well. When I was using wood I fletched them with Duco.

Shadowhntr

#5 Post by Shadowhntr »

I had issues with my blind eyes too at first. This video shows exactly how I do it now. You only have to seperate the backing one time this way, then always leave 2 or 3 inches of tapleless tail with just the backing on the thing at all times. That way next time its already separated and easy easy easy. Just roll it right down the edge... edge matching edge of tape. Trust me when I say after a couple dozen arrows you will be flying through them no problem with the tape. There is a small learning curve.

https://youtu.be/glgCekaue3M

I've used tape on woods quiet successfully. It may depend on the finish, but im using laquer and it works fabulous and hold as good as it does on carbon or aluminum. I've never had any problem with tape not holding. After it's on there a bit it takes on a quality that is similar to glue. I do "foot and heel" all my fletching whether I use tape or glue. It's just a good practice. One tiny dot on one side in the middle is assurance but not necessary but I do that often.
The element of surprise can never be replaced by persistence.

Longbowfanatic

#6 Post by Longbowfanatic »

dahyer wrote:I’ve gone back to glue. I’m refletching less so therefore I’m saving time.
X2

Crazynate

#7 Post by Crazynate »

It's to expensive when building as many arrows as I do. I prefer fletch tite platinum. If it was cheaper I would use the tape. It's fatster than letting arrows sit in clamps for 20 minutes
Goodnight Chesty Wherever You Are.

Shadowhntr

#8 Post by Shadowhntr »

This is the cement I went to. I like it better then Fletch tite. Of course you have to watch compatibility with wood arrow finishes. For laquer finish I only use Duco cement for times I choose not to use tape. I mainly use cement to tie the feather ends, or if I'm using a home made fletching and it's quill is a bit uneven.

https://www.3riversarchery.com/arrow-ma ... -glue.html

Shadowhntr

#9 Post by Shadowhntr »

One reason I don't prefer cement is because eventually the arrows WILL need refletched. After cement has been on wood shafts a while, getting them off without damaging the finish is impossible. Getting the new fletching lined up perfectly with the old isn't impossible but darn near enough to drive you mad. Cement will not only take finish off when fletching are removed but stain as well. It makes for ugly sloppy looking arrows later on perfectly good shafts. You don't get that with tape.

Crazynate

#10 Post by Crazynate »

Shadowhntr wrote:One reason I don't prefer cement is because eventually the arrows WILL need refletched. After cement has been on wood shafts a while, getting them off without damaging the finish is impossible. Getting the new fletching lined up perfectly with the old isn't impossible but darn near enough to drive you mad. Cement will not only take finish off when fletching are removed but stain as well. It makes for ugly sloppy looking arrows later on perfectly good shafts. You don't get that with tape.
VERY GOOD POINT. I never thought of it that way. I don't shoot wood much anymore. I make them for people but I don't really use them much. I'll keep that into consideration next time.
Goodnight Chesty Wherever You Are.

Return to “All about arrows”