Things I Learned About Woodies

How to's, questions, and build alongs for those traditional archers who are interested in building their own custom arrows.
Forum rules
This area strictly for arrows. Building, flight or broadhead flight.
stumper

Re: Things I Learned About Woodies

#16 Post by stumper »

Longtrad wrote:Why can't tapered shafts be tuned to length? Just cut from the point end, or is there something I am missing?
Both sides are tapered
Nothing clears a troubled mind like shooting a bow.

Longtrad

#17 Post by Longtrad »

Ah barrel tapered shafts?

stumper

#18 Post by stumper »

Taper for nock is one angle and tip is another. Then if you shorten shaft you need to retaper before putting point back on

Longtrad

#19 Post by Longtrad »

Oh just the point and and nick taper. I was thinking end tapered shafts that go from 11/32 to 5/16, my bad.

stumper

#20 Post by stumper »

I have no idea about that stuff lol. All i know is about plain ole wood shafts lol

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#21 Post by Captainkirk »

Well, Clay...if you order pre-tapered shafts, (for nock and point) they want to know the length you shoot. For me, it's generally around 30". But if you order 30" tapered shafts, you've already eliminate 2" from the tuning process; all you can do is go shorter. If you order them at 32", you can cut them down as you tune, but you've already paid extra for the tapers. Just easier for me to order full length and do my own tapers...cheaper, too. If that makes any sense?
Aim small, miss small!

Shadowhntr

#22 Post by Shadowhntr »

LMAO! :lol:

I think Clay this whole time was referring to back tapered shafts. They normally put a nock taper on a back tapered shaft, because with the increase in diameter from 5/16 up to 11/ 32, a regular tapering tool won't work fer beans. He was just saying, to tune them, you simply cut the shaft on the tip end when tuning to keep from cutting off the nock taper because once you do you lose part of the back taper you paid for, plus putting a nock taper back on is about impossible without a sander/grinder and jig.

I think everyone was talking about different types of "taper", but are now on the same page...I think anyways..lol
The element of surprise can never be replaced by persistence.

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#23 Post by Carpdaddy »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Longtrad

#24 Post by Longtrad »

Yeah my bad guys, I hear tapered shafts and my mind automatically thinks of a 5/16th back taper :lol:

I sure wouldn't want to spend 100 bucks on a special arrow tapper tool either, I'd rather spend the money and get a belt/disk sander and make a tapering jig.

Shadowhntr

#25 Post by Shadowhntr »

Then you could make tapers on your shafts too....
The element of surprise can never be replaced by persistence.

Return to “All about arrows”