Just a recap on the arrows I made a while back.

How to's, questions, and build alongs for those traditional archers who are interested in building their own custom arrows.
Forum rules
This area strictly for arrows. Building, flight or broadhead flight.
Cody2306

Just a recap on the arrows I made a while back.

#1 Post by Cody2306 »

Since picking the bow up again. I realized my arrows are tuned pretty well.. I still am taking a few steps back and revisiting form and anchor and shooting just 5 yards or so and working on groups. But they sure do fly well .. I had started with 70-75 # shafts from surewood with 145gr field tips broadheads and hammer small game tips.. while Tuning a while back I had cut 7/8 inch of the 32 inch shaft to get the tune I was happy with. Did a prime and sealer . And the total weight of each arrow is 606-630. The field tips and small game heads all weigh pretty close. And the arrows with the broad heads weigh closer to the 606 range.must be the different style heads that made the weigh difference even tho there all suppose to be the same.. There not the prettiest and there not perfect weight match but pretty damn close .. I'm happy with them but for next deer season I want to make a dozen or so from surewood premium shafts to see if I can get the weights a little closer ..
Attachments
Here is a photo
Here is a photo
20171121_030438 (480x640).jpg (154.25 KiB) Viewed 398 times

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

Re: Just a recap on the arrows I made a while back.

#2 Post by Carpdaddy »

Looking good to me, appears you are prepared.

Graps

#3 Post by Graps »

I like 'em.
"Maybe the truly handicapped people are the ones that don't need God as much." ~ Joni Eareckson Tada

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#4 Post by Captainkirk »

Looks good to me! Are the broadheads Zwickeys?
Aim small, miss small!

Cody2306

#5 Post by Cody2306 »

There eclipse

Crazynate

#6 Post by Crazynate »

Look awesome.
Goodnight Chesty Wherever You Are.

Shadowhntr

#7 Post by Shadowhntr »

It's ok to hit weights closer Cody, but shooting out to 20 yards, my hunting distance, its really difficult to tell the difference in a 610 gr arrow and a 630 gr. I got almost that same mix in my quiver and I can't tell a spits worth of difference even with my lil cry baby 40 lb longbow.
The element of surprise can never be replaced by persistence.

Cody2306

#8 Post by Cody2306 »

Sweet. Shadowhuntr. Oh I recently found some public land a couple hours away. I'm gonna start scouting areas out and try and figure out how to find the deer and maybe set up some natural blinds.. I don't expect to to get a deer till next year and even then I it's not expected because I didn't realize all the work you have to put in in preseason to find were they are and will be..

Cody2306

#9 Post by Cody2306 »

But if a piggy crosses my shooting lanes I hope to put some meet In the freezer. My question about that. Is what do I ldo once I bag a hog? Is this somthing I can do on my own as far as field dressing and getting the meet desired off the hog? Or is that somthing I need to take to a butcher shop? I should do some research before I get Into all that.

Shadowhntr

#10 Post by Shadowhntr »

You'd want to field dress. From there Cody, it's just a matter of washing and scrubbing it off good, and then skinning it. Being wild, there isn't going to be enough fat to worry about making primal cuts in the fasion you'd do a pen raised hog. Some things like side/bacon are not quite the same because the wild pig's just don't get fat enough normally. I mean technically It's there, it's just not the same. The whole hog will be more lean, and comparatively tougher. If it were me, I'd cut it up more like a deer instead of a hog, taking the back strap loins and tender loins, maybe a few roast off the back leg hams, and then I'd bone out and grind the rest for ground pork, sausage, etc. Definitely study how to go about the process, so you know it well. It's not hard at all, and there is no reason you can't do it yourself. You'll need to get the hog good and clean, and then get it chilled down as quick as possible. Many use big coolers with ice keeping the drain plug pulled so the meat isn't swimming. Cooling really helps the process of cutting it up and grinding. Aging it for several days In the coolers will make it better. In the end it's about getting the meat off and in serving sized portions and in the freezer....so you can't really go wrong, unless you start wanting to make certain specific cuts. Then you'd need to study where the cuts are and how to make them. Once you start studying how to, and getting the idea, you'll see it's very easy and is nothing more then common sense. As stated, I personally would do a wild pig as if it were a deer. Oh and, You will need some way to grind the meat.
Not long ago Jim and I butchered a decent sized pen raised hog. I cut it up as a hog by splitting, then making primal cuts in each half, then eventually getting roast off the hams, and took Boston butt roast, chops, country style ribs, side/bacon, spare ribs, tender loins, and a good amount of ground. Even butchering it conventionally, it wasn't a hard job, just takes time and a few simple tools is all. But as I stated I'd do a wild hog as if it were a deer because of lack of fat and tenderness. Shooting younger hogs is going to be the best table fare.
The element of surprise can never be replaced by persistence.

Return to “All about arrows”