Arrows

How to's, questions, and build alongs for those traditional archers who are interested in building their own custom arrows.
Forum rules
This area strictly for arrows. Building, flight or broadhead flight.
Crazynate

Arrows

#1 Post by Crazynate »

I am curious to hear what feather size and cut guys like. Please share your opinions on what you like especially if your buying arrows, what do you like or not care for? I build lots of arrows for guys and it seems more people want 5" shield cut versus 4". I prefer 4" myself just because I can get 2-4" feathers from 1 full length. I know lots of you build your own too so I am curious to what your favorites are. Also do you guys like having your arrows dipped? If so what's everyone's favorite colors? Thanks guys Nate
Goodnight Chesty Wherever You Are.

Graps

Re: Arrows

#2 Post by Graps »

I prefer 5" parabolic.
When I make my own, I like wipe on poly. It just works for me.
"Maybe the truly handicapped people are the ones that don't need God as much." ~ Joni Eareckson Tada

Shadowhntr

#3 Post by Shadowhntr »

I like 4", but I think you and I are in the minority with that. I like shields, and parabolic. I also use to like low profile banana cuts but they are a long cut so I got away from them strictly because as you said I get 2x per feather with 4".

I like crown dips, and prefer white....but I don't have to have a dip, and any more I myself tend to lean to the more natural look.
The element of surprise can never be replaced by persistence.

Jose

#4 Post by Jose »

I use a four fletch shield feather, 4" in length

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#5 Post by Carpdaddy »

Another three 4” Shield cut user here.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#6 Post by Captainkirk »

I've used both 4 and 5" shield cuts. I like the look better than parabolics. I mask and spray on white Rustoleum for cap dip; much faster drying than dipping. I dip in Minwax Polycrylic in a PVC dip tube with a hunk of nitrile glove over the top with a hole burned into it using a red-hot nail to wipe the excess. Planning on doing up a batch of four-fletch, those will use 4" feathers.
Aim small, miss small!

Mohawk

#7 Post by Mohawk »

I'm all about the shield too, and I have a 5" cutter which will be replaced with a 4" cutter this year. I have warmed up to the shorter fletch since I now know that it will fly just as well as the 5" feather. Also like Shadow said, you get 2 out of a full length feather. It also saves a bit of tape each time, or glue if you use that. It's a minimal thing for one, but in a dozen arrows you'd save about 3 feet worth. Yeah I'm a tightwad. :oops:

Crazynate

#8 Post by Crazynate »

Thanks for the input guys. Sounds like some like 5 and some 4". I am the same way
Goodnight Chesty Wherever You Are.

stumper

#9 Post by stumper »

3" shield.
Nothing clears a troubled mind like shooting a bow.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#10 Post by Captainkirk »

dahyer wrote:3" shield.
Really?!!!
You find they fly straight with a broadhead? :?:
Aim small, miss small!

Return to “All about arrows”