Going to switch to carbon arrows for my first upcoming seaso

How to's, questions, and build alongs for those traditional archers who are interested in building their own custom arrows.
Forum rules
This area strictly for arrows. Building, flight or broadhead flight.
Jamesh76

Re: Going to switch to carbon arrows for my first upcoming s

#11 Post by Jamesh76 »

Captainkirk wrote:Looks like you could add a piece of tight fitting brass rod to the forward end of that tubing to increase both weight and FOC
Cheapest/easiest way is to buy .243 bullets 100 grain or what ever and place them behind the insert. 100 for about 17$ just glue them in. Their diameter is .244, I think standard carbon is .246 add glue and perfect fit.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#12 Post by Captainkirk »

Jamesh76 wrote:
Captainkirk wrote:Looks like you could add a piece of tight fitting brass rod to the forward end of that tubing to increase both weight and FOC
Cheapest/easiest way is to buy .243 bullets 100 grain or what ever and place them behind the insert. 100 for about 17$ just glue them in. Their diameter is .244, I think standard carbon is .246 add glue and perfect fit.
Great idea, James!
Anyone ever figure out an easy way to add weight to a woody (other than gluing on a WoodyWeight?)
Aim small, miss small!

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#13 Post by Captainkirk »

Crazynate wrote:Another thing you can use for tuning is the Blue Bohning glue stick. Easy in and out with a little heat so it's easy to tune with. I use a glass of boiling water to take em in and out. Fast and easy. Here's a picture of the aquarium tubing in one of my hunting arrows. Fits nice and tight and adds about 180grainsImage
Nate, where did you find that arrow rack? Too cool!
Aim small, miss small!

Jamesh76

#14 Post by Jamesh76 »

Captainkirk wrote:
Jamesh76 wrote:
Great idea, James!
Anyone ever figure out an easy way to add weight to a woody (other than gluing on a WoodyWeight?)
There is a tool that used to be able to buy from 3 river. Essentially it has a hole in the center and of it which acts as a guide keeping the bit centered. Slip over the shaft and drilll a hole. I believe it is 1/8" hole. Insert brass rod.

Crazynate

#15 Post by Crazynate »

Thanks Kirk I picked this rack up at a garage sale a few years ago. It came with 2 dozen carbon express arrows . Got it for 10 bucks. It was a good score
Goodnight Chesty Wherever You Are.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#16 Post by Captainkirk »

Jamesh76 wrote: There is a tool that used to be able to buy from 3 river. Essentially it has a hole in the center and of it which acts as a guide keeping the bit centered. Slip over the shaft and drilll a hole. I believe it is 1/8" hole. Insert brass rod.
That is sort of the way my thinking was leaning. You would obviously have to have a drill press and a jig to keep the shaft immobile and centered, but was wondering about the dynamics of having a stiff brass insert glued in to the front of the shaft. Would the arrows experience breakage where the brass insert transitions to all wood? There would be no spine flex from the insert forward...
Aim small, miss small!

Return to “All about arrows”