Should have quit while I was ahead.

How to's, questions, and build alongs for those traditional archers who are interested in building their own custom arrows.
Forum rules
This area strictly for arrows. Building, flight or broadhead flight.
stumper

Should have quit while I was ahead.

#1 Post by stumper »

Should’ve taken a hint from the start but as usual I’m muscle through it and now I’m paying for it. First I tried to make a couple new strings for some of my bows, for some reason three of them came out short so I had to remake three strings.

Then I decided I was going to do a marathon finish my arrows for this hunting season for my new bow. For those of you who have wondered why I haven’t posted pictures of me shooting the new bow it’s because I lacked proper arrows for it. I scrimped and saved and bought a dozen shafts and just enough feathers to fletch them. Normally I use bear paw archery glue which is such a thin glue and dries almost instantly. It incredible stuff. However I broke the lid a few days back and it dried up. While I was at Walmart I saw some fletch glue in the seasonal archery section, which I picked up.

The last four days I have been painstakingly applying stain and then three coats of Tungoil to the arrows. So tonight I fetched them,and all seemed well and I place them behind me to dry after fletching a them like I normally do. After about 30 minutes I pick up the arrows and I see globs of excess glue that did not dry underneath the feather but decided to run down the shaft and on seven of the 12 decided to soak into the front part of the feathers making them hard as rocks. So now I’m toying with what to do and regretting Buying that damn Walmart archery glue. At best I’ll have stumping arrows and still not have arrows for the new bow. I’m out tons of money and days of work. Ok life, lesson well learned.

In all bottle of bohning fletch fuse just cost me about 70 bucks.
Nothing clears a troubled mind like shooting a bow.

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

Re: Should have quit while I was ahead.

#2 Post by Carpdaddy »

Ouch Dave, that’s terrible, seems like when it rains it pours!

Dan

#3 Post by Dan »

Ouch. I have good luck with the fletching tape and it doesn’t dry out or run.

Graps

#4 Post by Graps »

I've had times like that.
"Maybe the truly handicapped people are the ones that don't need God as much." ~ Joni Eareckson Tada

stumper

#5 Post by stumper »

I’ve used fletch tape and constantly have to refletch. With the bear paw archery glue, I’ve never had a fletching come off and they have all been perfect. I’ll be getting another bottle of it when able and am just gonna have to shelf the new bow for the time being.

Grizzly

#6 Post by Grizzly »

Have you considered saving the arrows and adding an arrow wrap to cover up the damaged finish and glue mess? You can find solid colors in brown and something close to cedar.
Jesus replaces the old covenant and speaks to the believer the moral code of God by His Spirit directly to the heart. He is the eternal, everlasting revelation of God to mankind. In Him is both the knowledge of righteousness and the power to live right.

stumper

#7 Post by stumper »

I am gonna carefully sand them down just past the finish, just ordered right glue and plenty of feathers. I sanded two down already to test and it may just work. I cut the feathers off just above the glue and used 100 grit to remove glue. Then I sanded the whole shaft evenly and it doesn’t look half bad. It took little bits of R stain off and it kinda looks cool. Might strip them all like this and then just three coats of oil which should be done before the new feathers arrive. Worst case scenario I’ll hunt with one of my other five bows. Still one of the luckiest guys in the trad world. Perhaps I’ll post pics of the salvage effort.

This also drives home a point of the witchery of archery. He takes one bow hunting and usually 70 plus arrows of various types. Reeds for wing shooting, small game points, broadheads. I have over invested in bows and under invested in arrows. No longer.

Elkman
Site Admin

#8 Post by Elkman »

You'll get it all straightened out Dave. I have good faith in your abilities.
Calling Elk - Awesome! !€

stumper

#9 Post by stumper »

Elkman wrote: Mon Sep 03, 2018 12:24 pm You'll get it all straightened out Dave. I have good faith in your abilities.
Thanks Tom. Many lessons learned today, which even though it initially appear to be, is not time wasted.

Graps

#10 Post by Graps »

If it's a learning curve, it's not a wast.
"Maybe the truly handicapped people are the ones that don't need God as much." ~ Joni Eareckson Tada

Return to “All about arrows”