Humble arrows

How to's, questions, and build alongs for those traditional archers who are interested in building their own custom arrows.
Forum rules
This area strictly for arrows. Building, flight or broadhead flight.
Carpdaddy
Site Admin

Re: Humble arrows

#21 Post by Carpdaddy »

Slick Stick, because it is right hand, and closest to the elk seeker you are hunting with. But that is only if you shoot it well also. For pictures I would have to take The cardiac arrest, that thing is beautiful! :mrgreen:

White Falcon

#22 Post by White Falcon »

Fun time.

stumper

#23 Post by stumper »

Alright. I'm confused. My elkseeker should be about 57 pounds at 28 inches. My camo bow is 56 at 28. I order 55/60 spruce shafts for the camo bow and have made dozens or shafts for it. Now for this bow since it seems faster and shoots the camo bows arrows slightly weak I went to 60/65 shafts but they shot stiff.... so I increase point weight to 160 which should weaken dynamic spine and allow me to tune these arrows. However they are still shooting stiff which makes no sense and make me think I was sent the wrong shafts by the shop. Thoughts? I have never until this point had an arrow that couldn't be tuned to the bow....
Nothing clears a troubled mind like shooting a bow.

Graps

#24 Post by Graps »

If you don't have a spine tester you can impressive one with a cardboard box and a coat hanger.
Suspended the arrow across the open box and a water bottle or something with a wire hook to weight the center of the arrow down.
Hook the coat hanger wire into the edge of the box, and lay it over the arrow. Then with something, a yard stick or a mark on a board, mark or measure the point of the long wire.
Put another arrow in and setup the same way. That will only compare the spine but you can tell if they are diffrent.
Weaker will be lower and stiffer will be higher.
"Maybe the truly handicapped people are the ones that don't need God as much." ~ Joni Eareckson Tada

stumper

#25 Post by stumper »

I dont have one. That's an idea..

Graps

#26 Post by Graps »

Can use wood or hard cover books.
Use your imagination.
I saw a guy that just used hooks on pegboard in his garage. He keeps it setup all the time and has felt tip marks on the wall for spine reference.
Think outside the box. It's not rocket science.
"Maybe the truly handicapped people are the ones that don't need God as much." ~ Joni Eareckson Tada

Grizzly

#27 Post by Grizzly »

Then, if you want to weaken the shaft you could use sandpaper and taper both ends - rechecking spine as you go.
Jesus replaces the old covenant and speaks to the believer the moral code of God by His Spirit directly to the heart. He is the eternal, everlasting revelation of God to mankind. In Him is both the knowledge of righteousness and the power to live right.

stumper

#28 Post by stumper »

I have a callback from company that makes the shafts on Monday. Until then I'm gonna mess with a thinner strike plate and lower brace height. I'll keep you all posted. I'm running out of the good striped l arrows that I have. I'm down to 4 after two years of constant use. I'm also gonna set up slick stick in case I need it.

stumper

#29 Post by stumper »

Mystery solved. The shafts are probably right on. My initial observation that the elk seeker was faster than the cardiac arrest was wrong. I will verify with a chrono Monday to see how much faster. I figured that since the cardiac arrest was shooting 55/60 shafts at 29.5 inches in length with a 125 grain head. So I took my new arrows that it shoot stiff from elkseeker and postulated that they should be weak out of cardiac arrest because we went up a spine but also a point weight. In fact multiple groups show the cardiac shooting the new arrows weak.

So where to go from here. I am going to see if I can get these 160 VPA broadheads changed to the 190 grains from them. And get some 190 grain field tips as well. Be a hefty arrow but to be honest I am really liking the heavier tips. The flight is very different and hard to explain. If 190 up front wont do it with these shafts, then I'll have to pony up for some different shafts and these will be give to the cardiac.

Now that said speed aside, just like to note that the elkseeker is perhaps the finest shooting bow I've ever shot. And we are not comparing apples to apples here the cardiac is 66 inches and elkseeker is 52. I know that I will pick the elkseeker everytime.
Attachments
20191006_104417_resize_22.jpg
20191006_104417_resize_22.jpg (119.63 KiB) Viewed 254 times

Graps

#30 Post by Graps »

Something you need to keep in mind about a bows performance, a bow can shoot FPS faster but it's the initial kick in the pants that determines the spine flex.
Some bows hit hard on the arrow and drop off dramatically through the power stroke.
A bow like that Elkseaker is much more even on the power stroke, thus propelling the arrow faster but not bending the arrow as much.
Think of it this way, a rifle cartridge loaded with a slow burning powder will shoot a bullet faster than one that is loaded with a fast burning powder.
Clear as mud now?
Ok another analogy, punch a heavy bag and see how far it moves. Now the same bag do a slow motion punch but keep pushing as hard as you can.
The slow push will move the bag much further.
Conclusion; a longer power stroke will put more energy into the object being pushed.

Return to “All about arrows”