Lighted nocks

How to's, questions, and build alongs for those traditional archers who are interested in building their own custom arrows.
Forum rules
This area strictly for arrows. Building, flight or broadhead flight.
Captainkirk
Site Admin

Lighted nocks

#1 Post by Captainkirk »

Over the past five years, most of my sightings of deer have been either pre-dawn or dusk/twilight. I've been considering switching to carbons (from woodies) for one or two of my broadhead arrows to utilize lighted nocks; not only for quick arrow location/recovery in case I miss (which never, ever happens :lol: ) but also for seeing where the hit is, and to be able to get an idea of where the deer, squirrel or rabbit is heading as they vanish in the darkness, and hopefully, a locator beacon once they're down. For those of you that have used them; are they as effective as the hype leads you to believe, and if so, which ones work the best? I've also seen some reference in the past that certain lighted nock colors are far more visible in a deep-woods situation, if so, which colors?
Someone, somewhere had also written a review about how certain nocks wouldn't trigger using lighter recurve bows compared to modern compounds, which I'm not buying...but any reports on this from the field?
Aim small, miss small!

Captainkirk
Site Admin

Re: Lighted nocks

#2 Post by Captainkirk »

In a similar vein, I would love to see a lighted nock that would work on a wood shaft. But so far, nothing doing.
Aim small, miss small!

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#3 Post by Carpdaddy »

I have used and do like them, they have helped me better determine what type of shot I made on a deer, saving me the stress of sitting in a tree wondering. Tried to get off cheap at first and wasted some money and effort, the Nockturnal brand has performed best for me. Tip: know your shaft size and which “Letter” on the package fits before buying.

stumper

#4 Post by stumper »

https://youtu.be/gVgfPWmvLW4
Installing lighted nocks on wood by 3 rivers. Seems very easy.
Nothing clears a troubled mind like shooting a bow.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#5 Post by Captainkirk »

stumper wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 4:16 am https://youtu.be/gVgfPWmvLW4
Installing lighted nocks on wood by 3 rivers. Seems very easy.
PERFECT! Thanks so much for sharing that, Dave!
Now I know what my next winter project is gonna be! :D
Aim small, miss small!

stumper

#6 Post by stumper »

No problem
Nothing clears a troubled mind like shooting a bow.

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#7 Post by Carpdaddy »

Good video!

Grizzly

#8 Post by Grizzly »

Never have tried them. They do add weight to the back of the arrow where you don't want it; which may or may not mean anything practically speaking. I always used either white, bright yellow, chartreuse or bright orange and similar bright wraps around the shaft and under the fletchings to help see them.. Of course there are many arrows buried in tall grass all over Illinois, New Jersey, New York and lower MI where I've shot many arrows and been unable to find them. I wonder if even a lighted nock works in that long matted grass. I did meet some folks at a 3d shoot one time who brought their English Golden Retriever with them. That dog was able to sniff out lost arrows and retrieve them. Even brought them back to the one with his scent on them. Amazing.
Jesus replaces the old covenant and speaks to the believer the moral code of God by His Spirit directly to the heart. He is the eternal, everlasting revelation of God to mankind. In Him is both the knowledge of righteousness and the power to live right.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#9 Post by Captainkirk »

Grizzly wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:35 am Never have tried them. They do add weight to the back of the arrow where you don't want it; which may or may not mean anything practically speaking. I always used either white, bright yellow, chartreuse or bright orange and similar bright wraps around the shaft and under the fletchings to help see them.. Of course there are many arrows buried in tall grass all over Illinois, New Jersey, New York and lower MI where I've shot many arrows and been unable to find them. I wonder if even a lighted nock works in that long matted grass. I did meet some folks at a 3d shoot one time who brought their English Golden Retriever with them. That dog was able to sniff out lost arrows and retrieve them. Even brought them back to the one with his scent on them. Amazing.
In dusk and pre-dawn settings I'm guessing they would be invaluable!
Aim small, miss small!

Grizzly

#10 Post by Grizzly »

I can understand that.

Do they turn on when shot or glow while on your bow?

Kind of like how inertia would arm my mortars when launched.
Jesus replaces the old covenant and speaks to the believer the moral code of God by His Spirit directly to the heart. He is the eternal, everlasting revelation of God to mankind. In Him is both the knowledge of righteousness and the power to live right.

Return to “All about arrows”