Feathers

How to's, questions, and build alongs for those traditional archers who are interested in building their own custom arrows.
Forum rules
This area strictly for arrows. Building, flight or broadhead flight.
jaydee2trad

Feathers

#1 Post by jaydee2trad »

Of course there are all kinds of feathers and they all can do the job just fine but what do you prefer? At times, I really like the barred feathers, natural or colored. but I also love the super bright colors like the blues, reds, yellows, whites, pinks, lime greens and so on. I love those colors because I can see the flight of the arrow easier and sometimes find the arrow easier. occasionally even see where the deer is going thru the woods or brush because of the fletching. I used to always go with a four fletch five inch feathers for stability etc but have gone more to the shorter feathers from 3 1/2 to 4" . Having gone to a much heavier head setup, I have shortened my feathers plus then tend to go with my tradbows brace height better. I love a beautiful crested arrow with bright feathers just because they just look so amazing. But the all natural look is sweet too, just harder for me to find the arrows. I also try to make sure that my feathers don't blend in with the leaves at the moment. Yellow feathers with yellow leaves can make it tough to find them. White feathers make it easy to see from a distance if there is blood on them. But, I have always been a little bit lery of white because it is the alarm color of the deer. And part of the deciding factor is whether I am going to be up in a stand or sneaking along on the ground. But a well crafted arrow is a piece of art, art that can be deadly. A quiver full of arrows can be such a wonderful thing to see, with the feathers sticking out proudly for all to see. I have a few two fletch arrows, the river cane arrows and they just look wicked to me. I have alway salvaged feathers from broken or ruined arrows using a razor blade, just can't waste them. Feathers, a personal choice in color, size and how mounted.

Return to “All about arrows”