Hunting the Osage Bow build along **Teaching a bow to bend**

How to's, questions, and build alongs for those who enjoy the craft of building traditional bows.
Forum rules
No selling of traditional bows you manufactured. Only sponsors are allowed to post new bows for sale.
stumper

Re: Hunting the Osage Bow build along

#101 Post by stumper »

5th ring into the hardwood and fissure is still there. Mike says to rasp it off. I’ll be backing the bow on this ring.
Attachments
AEBE6673-39D4-43BB-9E42-9C4B5A2E5652.jpeg
AEBE6673-39D4-43BB-9E42-9C4B5A2E5652.jpeg (105.46 KiB) Viewed 63 times
Nothing clears a troubled mind like shooting a bow.

Graps

#102 Post by Graps »

Well crud. :?
"Maybe the truly handicapped people are the ones that don't need God as much." ~ Joni Eareckson Tada

stumper

#103 Post by stumper »

Graps wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:16 pmWell crud. :?
Pretty sure it will fall into handle location. It’ll be alright

Graps

#104 Post by Graps »

I started a hickory a few years ago and sa I was roughing it out, a small knot showed up about eight inches from the end of one of the limbs.
Looks like it will go clear through and be a spot that will break.
It's sat in the garage ever sense. :evil:
"Maybe the truly handicapped people are the ones that don't need God as much." ~ Joni Eareckson Tada

stumper

#105 Post by stumper »

Graps wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:41 pm I started a hickory a few years ago and sa I was roughing it out, a small knot showed up about eight inches from the end of one of the limbs.
Looks like it will go clear through and be a spot that will break.
It's sat in the garage ever sense. :evil:
It is what it is at this point. I am still pressing on and will continue until it breaks or becomes a bow. I have made Mike aware of the issue and I am not sure depending on where the handle falls that I can just rasp it off as he suggests, but I will try. The fissure has changed size and shape with each ring I have gone down, so I just don't know how far or deep it runs. But I am now on the fifth ring of heartwood and it's still there. On the bright side, I have gotten quite proficient at chasing rings and reading the wood though. My draw knife is starting to become an extension of my hands, which is a cool feeling and I am feeling very comfortable working with Osage (was hating it for a minute). Unless this just magically works out (my hope is diminished at this point), I doubt I will be buying any more staves from anywhere (just not having good luck). I love the idea of continuing to make selfbows as I believe they have a beauty about them not found in glass bows and find the draw knife therapeutic. I also have no way or really desire to invest in the tooling required to make modern bows at this point (maybe someday). In the future, I am going to put a lot more effort into finding my own wood to source. I have the know-how thanks to Torges and Hayes, so there is no reason to buy anymore.

Shadowhntr

#106 Post by Shadowhntr »

Dave I couldnt agree with you more....the stave issue has been the main reason I've not proceeded to carve one out myself. To compound my problems I have no way of measuring and controlling the woods moisture in drying even if I went to go harvest staves myself. So.....I sit here wondering when or if I'll ever carve myself a bow.
The element of surprise can never be replaced by persistence.

stumper

#107 Post by stumper »

Shadowhntr wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:04 pm Dave I couldnt agree with you more....the stave issue has been the main reason I've not proceeded to carve one out myself. To compound my problems I have no way of measuring and controlling the woods moisture in drying even if I went to go harvest staves myself. So.....I sit here wondering when or if I'll ever carve myself a bow.
It's unfortunate to say the least... I really do think the biggest issue of getting into this was wood sourcing (thought I had this figured out). Additionally end of my stave is also cracked down about 4 inches long on one side(or least thats how long I can see). Which to me, based on what I have read means something didn't go right in the drying/sealing process. I didnt make a big deal about this because I figured I would just cut it off, as the stave is longer than I need. However, now that I have an issue in the middle of the stave, I am going to have to be super intentional with this. I know hickory is a lot easier to source and (I have access to it). Perhaps I could do something like a bamboo backed hickory bow, so that even though hickory is not good mositure wise the bamboo helps it keep its cast... I dont know... I really want this to work and I feel that I am doing my part.

Graps

#108 Post by Graps »

I said it before, you have more patients than I do. :?

Shadowhntr

#109 Post by Shadowhntr »

I tend not to care for hickorys feel on the shot. Of course bamboo backed is all I've shot. Lots of whipping in rebound on the ones I shot. Maybe it was the particular bows? IDK....guess there may be no alternative way to go though....
The element of surprise can never be replaced by persistence.

stumper

#110 Post by stumper »

Hmm. All I know is that I can get a hickory stave and bamboo backing for under 100 bucks and would already be on tillering.

Return to “The Bowyer”