Building Basics?

How to's, questions, and build alongs for those who enjoy the craft of building traditional bows.
Forum rules
No selling of traditional bows you manufactured. Only sponsors are allowed to post new bows for sale.
Big Foot

Re: Building Basics?

#21 Post by Big Foot »

Not much res[pose on this thread, so i thought i might putin 2 cents worth. I have helped many , many beginners get started on the right track, and i build bows professionally...

Of course i'm an odd ball in that i don't believe giving trade secrets to other bowyers or beginners is wrong at all. Building a bow, and becoming a bowyer is like cooking in many ways. You can give the same recipe to 10 experienced bowyers and come up with 10 completely different bows. Once you have the basics down, and are willing to roll up your sleeves and build a few, you'll find out pretty quick if you have the patience and skill level to come up with a good finished product.

Getting back to the original question on this thread, i'd point the beginner in the direction of "Bingham's Projects" http://www.binghamprojects.com/

Elmont Binham has some great basic bow designs and step by step instructions along with templates for building forms, hot boxes, and has all the materials you would need...... That's how i started myself....

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#22 Post by Captainkirk »

Thank you for that link and your insight, Kirk. I'm still pondering the 'leap' to bow-building...as if I don't have enough hobbies now! :lol:
Who knows...maybe after I retire...if ever? :?
Aim small, miss small!

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#23 Post by Captainkirk »

Kirk, check your PM's...
Aim small, miss small!

Jamesh76

#24 Post by Jamesh76 »

I'd tell him to buy Dean Toges book and then ask questions if he was going self bow route. if not, start reading the Bowyer bible books and go from there.

Big Foot

#25 Post by Big Foot »

Jamesh76 wrote:I'd tell him to buy Dean Toges book and then ask questions if he was going self bow route. if not, start reading the Bowyer bible books and go from there.
The bowyers bible series is interesting reading and gives you a lot of history, but isn't much help on modern glass bows..... I never got into whittling staves much. My first osage self bow still sits on a shelf and has been there for years. After building all my own draw knives and scrapers & learning how to chase rings..... i just lost interest in it.
Got too busy building glass bows is more like it...

Maybe some day i'll blow the dust off it and get er done....

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#26 Post by Carpdaddy »

Great to have you here Big Foot. I have read Dean Thorge's book as mentioned and built several self bows before I began playing with the laminated fiberglass backed. I only build a couple per year for my hunting pleasure and the joy of doing it. You certainly build some fine looking bows, glad you joined here.

Big Foot

#27 Post by Big Foot »

Pretty quiet in here though.... kinda spooky really....

I think if everyone built a couple self bows prior to going into laminated composite bows they would build a much finer bow. Most guys get there glass bows strung and just use a tiller measurement to get the limbs balanced without ever putting them on a tiller tree and actually "Tillering" them and watch how the limbs are bending...

That's why there are so many bows out there that are noisy and have hand shock issues. the bowyers aren't taking any time to map their limbs.

Ole Dave

!!

#28 Post by Ole Dave »

Carpdaddy wrote:Great to have you here Big Foot. I have read Dean Thorge's book as mentioned and built several self bows before I began playing with the laminated fiberglass backed. I only build a couple per year for my hunting pleasure and the joy of doing it. You certainly build some fine looking bows, glad you joined here.

Yes, I'm a fan of Kirk's design and bow building. Not because he was a "friend" first, but because he took time to share some of his research, even though he knew he was "throwing pearls of widom before swine" but I could follow the bouncing ball enough to realize he has insights few bother to gain and he incorporates that into his design.

Yes, his bows are beautisuckle...but their performance out shines their looks.

Kirk became a friend because of the passion he showed in his work, the care he took in building my own personal bow and the interest in my questions. Not to take away from the looks of his bows at all. NO! Just that their beauty is nothing compared to the performance.

Like E.F. Hutton, when he speaks---LISTEN! He's one of the rare few who will share his hard earned knowledge....
All we have and call our own, once belonged to someone else, and will again. Our purpose here is not to serve ourselves.

Bigfoot SAS LB (47# LB limbs 38# Semi Static RC limbs)

Couple of old Bear bows

Return to “The Bowyer”