How about some sister bows?

How to's, questions, and build alongs for those who enjoy the craft of building traditional bows.
Forum rules
No selling of traditional bows you manufactured. Only sponsors are allowed to post new bows for sale.
Big Foot

How about some sister bows?

#1 Post by Big Foot »

These are both 60" amo 50@29" bows . the Dark riser is the Sasquatch hybrid long bow, and the sister is the Sasquatch SS static tip recurve. Macassar ebony and figured Shedua are the woods.

here are some other photos of the build for Jason Lenard .

https://goo.gl/photos/6PHH9hasQSt7623T7
Attachments
Ebony sisters1.jpg
Ebony sisters1.jpg (157.76 KiB) Viewed 2468 times
Ebony sisters2.jpg
Ebony sisters2.jpg (105.96 KiB) Viewed 2468 times

Longtrad

Re: How about some sister bows?

#2 Post by Longtrad »

Man those are some fine looking sticks. I must admit I had already admired them through facebook last night. The limb cores look different?

I really like the looks of that shedua. Reminds me a bit of myrtle, I have always been a sucker for lighter woods with lots of contrast.

Longtrad

#3 Post by Longtrad »

What finish do you use Kirk? I love how glassy smooth your bows come out.

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#4 Post by Carpdaddy »

Two beauties there for sure!

Shadowhntr

#5 Post by Shadowhntr »

WOW! Stunning work there brother! Thats the prettiest Shedua I've personally ever seen. MAn those are some HOT bows!
The element of surprise can never be replaced by persistence.

Big Foot

#6 Post by Big Foot »

Longtrad wrote:Man those are some fine looking sticks. I must admit I had already admired them through facebook last night. The limb cores look different?

I really like the looks of that shedua. Reminds me a bit of myrtle, I have always been a sucker for lighter woods with lots of contrast.
The core materials are the same, but the wedges, taper rates, and lamination thickness are completely different. I typically use a combination of maple & action bamboo for all my bows now. The exception to that rule would be custom building something for a customer with a short draw length and lower draw weight that wants higher performance..... A bit of carbon in the right spots, and a light weight walnut core can have a huge impact in that regard.

That was an exceptional piece of Shedua. I spotted it while picking up some other hardwood and had to buy it......I only have on riser block left in stock & its gone...

Big Foot

#7 Post by Big Foot »

Longtrad wrote:What finish do you use Kirk? I love how glassy smooth your bows come out.
Actually both of these bows have a very light textured matte finish using a high gloss auto clear coating. I get a good build up with a couple wet coats, get my grain filled and that gives the wood grain some depth, then I turn my pressure up and volume down and dust it lightly to get the matte finish and damper the reflective nature of the high gloss material...... gives it more of a satin look.

For a smooth hand rubbed satin finish i use a different material for the finish coats that has a bit of flattening agent, or i use a water base satin over the auto clear coat. The hand rubbed look requires a bit of elbow grease too....

Working with different clear coatings is a trade all in itself. it took me years to really get the hang of it, and it still kicks my a$$ now and then experimenting with different products..... High gloss bows are a nightmare.

Ole Dave

#8 Post by Ole Dave »

Boy...either or both those "sisters" could come stay at my house...

Doubt I could handle 2 at once though... :roll:

Unless I could learn to shoot 100 arrows with my PeePee :shock:
All we have and call our own, once belonged to someone else, and will again. Our purpose here is not to serve ourselves.

Bigfoot SAS LB (47# LB limbs 38# Semi Static RC limbs)

Couple of old Bear bows

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#9 Post by Captainkirk »

Beautiful (actually, stunning!) bows, Kirk. Do you have a website other than FB? (I'm not on FB)
Aim small, miss small!

Shadowhntr

#10 Post by Shadowhntr »

:shock: :lol:
The element of surprise can never be replaced by persistence.

Return to “The Bowyer”