Day dreamin and bow schemin

How to's, questions, and build alongs for those who enjoy the craft of building traditional bows.
Forum rules
No selling of traditional bows you manufactured. Only sponsors are allowed to post new bows for sale.
Jose

Re: Day dreamin and bow schemin

#16 Post by Jose »

Longtrad wrote:
I really like the crazy contrast you are able to find in red cedar and always thought that would make a wonderful limb veneer, The only trouble is I can never decide on riser woods to go with it.

What bows do you guys dream about? What woods? What do you think goes well with red cedar?

That is a tough wood to find good matches but it sure is nice. Here is one I built with figured bubinga. I think both matched nicely together.
IMG_3025.JPG
IMG_3025.JPG (157.66 KiB) Viewed 3731 times
IMG_3023.JPG
IMG_3023.JPG (131.32 KiB) Viewed 3731 times
IMG_3024.JPG
IMG_3024.JPG (78.78 KiB) Viewed 3731 times

Shadowhntr

#17 Post by Shadowhntr »

Jose, it looks fantastic! ....but....I don't know if you noticed or not, the shelf is on the WRONG side!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
The element of surprise can never be replaced by persistence.

Longtrad

#18 Post by Longtrad »

Shadowhntr wrote:Jose, it looks fantastic! ....but....I don't know if you noticed or not, the shelf is on the WRONG side!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I keep finding nice bows with that problem when I go to RMSGear lol.

That is a nice match and I really like the slimness of that riser. Red cedar I think is one of those ones where you just got to match the riser to the particular piece you are going to use in the veneer. When I get around to having my next bow made, you fellers should not be surprised if I don't end up getting red cedar veneers, even after all this day dreamin lol!!

I saw an ironwood bow once where the limb veneers were half dark heartwood and half light sapwood. That was pretty cool looking too.

Edit: here is the pic of that ironwood bow i was speaking of, http://tradgang.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb. ... 1;t=104471

Big Foot

#19 Post by Big Foot »

Longtrad wrote:I bet that would be an awesome read, you seem to take a more technical approach to bow building than most, or at least are willing to talk about it. I called up a lot of bowyers and ask them what they are going to do for a short t-rex armed man with a 26.5" draw.

Most will say they will match my desired weight to my draw... or tell me I can use a shorter bow. That was never the answer I was looking for, On your website you talk about "powerwedge" and manipulating the limbs to change the powerstroke, I probably messed something up on my paraphrasing, but is kind of answer I am always wanting to hear.
If you are bowyer just building stock bows and selling your product it wouldn't pay off to build draw length specific bows, and the answer to a shorter draw length question would typically be to get a shorter bow.... Most bowyers want all their limbs to comfortably reach a 30" draw because the average draw lengths range from 27-30". , They offer them in different lengths and recommend the shorter bows for shorter draw lengths....... The tough one to pull off for most builders is to build shorter bows that can go clear out to 32" draw..... That's where your limb design and shifting wedges really comes into play.....

Type of materials used in the core of the limb can be a big factor for building for a shorter draw length for better performance, or and extremely long draw for smoothness.

A true custom built, draw length specific bow can give the guys with shorter draw lengths a lot better performance..... BUT.... they can't go handing their bows off to their buddies with long arms with a 31" draw or it ain't going to last long.... It also limits the resale ability to guys with a shorter draw..... You can't believe how many guys order custom built bows only to sell them again in a years time or sometimes less.

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#20 Post by Carpdaddy »

Fine looking stick there Jose!

Jose

#21 Post by Jose »

Shadowhntr wrote:Jose, it looks fantastic! ....but....I don't know if you noticed or not, the shelf is on the WRONG side!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

:lol: ......I agree!

Longtrad

#22 Post by Longtrad »

As bowyers is resale value of your bows something that you consider? I guess I hadn't thought much of it.

Watching this Ed Scott interview has led me to even more day dreamin, I bet that guy would have some interesting stuff to share.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nt0n9W8KHS0

Jose

#23 Post by Jose »

Interesting question... I believe resale value of bows is probably much better for the big name brand companies. Most of my customers shot my bows prior to ordering. This allowed us to design the bow qualities directly to that customer. The majority of my customers prefer grip designs, shelf designs, etc. specific to them. Small adjustments here or there to dial the bow in exactly to their wants prior to finishing. Most of my customers own multiple bows which I made for them. Usually it is the same specs to their previous bows but maybe different woods or poundages. Guess it is like guns, don't know of to many that own just one... ;) Reality is, unless someone knows me or has shot my bows, Flatline Bows is just another name. I believe that is where my customer base comes in, custom to me is not "one of these three choices". Custom is exactly that "custom". From what I have experienced they tend to keep the bows and just add to the collection.

Shadowhntr

#24 Post by Shadowhntr »

Ive never seen a USED Flatline bow up for sale in classifieds! I keep waiting, and watching though!

Ive mulled around the idea of a really nice bow again, I miss my Black Widow. Maddogs are a great deal for the money, but looking at Jose's and Kirk's bows, Maddogs arent even in the same ball park as theirs are. Ugh....the struggle!!!!
The element of surprise can never be replaced by persistence.

stumper

#25 Post by stumper »

I think osage would look awesome with red cedar
Nothing clears a troubled mind like shooting a bow.

Return to “The Bowyer”