I popped the question/ Pic and review are posted now

How to's, questions, and build alongs for those who enjoy the craft of building traditional bows.
Forum rules
No selling of traditional bows you manufactured. Only sponsors are allowed to post new bows for sale.
Shadowhntr

Re: I popped the question .....

#121 Post by Shadowhntr »

Yes, he sent me pics of some alternatives that I bit on. He showed me a unique piece of quilted/curly Tiama. Most pics I could find were rather bland looking. Not his piece though, the grain is pretty uniform and straight, but the curl is phenomenal. In his pic it looks light colored but he said the camera isnt showing its true reddish brown color. Its so full of fiddle back curl its unreal. As it ages it takes on a deep brownish red hue. For the vaneers he offered several choices close to my request. However I eventually went with wormy grained mango limb vaneers.

I was just going to go with cocobolo from my original plan, but he told me something I did not know that steered me away. Cocobolo gets exceedingly darker with age, to the point you just about cannot distinguish the wood figuring from one another. Even the lightest colored cocobolo darkens so you can just barely make out the figuring. I dont want an all dark chocolate bow riser in 3 years.
The element of surprise can never be replaced by persistence.

Shadowhntr

#122 Post by Shadowhntr »

Here is approximately the color of riser, as this is a piece of Tiama...

Tiama Riser wood on bottom, wormy mango limb vaneers on very top. He said it all was about 25% darker then what the camera flash made it out to be.

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#123 Post by Carpdaddy »

Good looking stuff, has a lot going on in the grain when I blew it up. What is that wood second from the top? It's an eye catcher also!

Shadowhntr

#124 Post by Shadowhntr »

That is curly myrtle. The next one up is a mango but I cant remember what he called it. He said its a lot like spalted but more sturdy

Woops, i thought you said second one up. Second on from top is the mango i refered to, then next down is curly myrtle.

stumper

#125 Post by stumper »

I'm partial to mango =)
Nothing clears a troubled mind like shooting a bow.

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#126 Post by Carpdaddy »

dahyer wrote:I'm partial to mango =)
I lusted after some on Idaho Curts site, little more than I wanted to pay but he sure has some fine looking Mango. Check these out if the link works...
http://www.thewoodvault.com/bow-veneers/

stumper

#127 Post by stumper »

Yep.... I was so lucky to win those mangos from him. So pretty on that bow.......
Nothing clears a troubled mind like shooting a bow.

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#128 Post by Carpdaddy »

dahyer wrote:Yep.... I was so lucky to win those mangos from him. So pretty on that bow.......
Now wait a minute.... you won on one of his giveaways??? WOW! What bow? I'm going to need pictures! :mrgreen: Somehow I missed who it was that won.

Shadowhntr

#129 Post by Shadowhntr »

hey.....psssssssst ......the word on the street is....
there's a bow that got glued up out in Montana today.....the story goes, its for some flatlander in Kansas...

Longtrad

#130 Post by Longtrad »

oh man, any pics of the build? im excited.

Return to “The Bowyer”