The creation of the ShadowCarp

How to's, questions, and build alongs for those who enjoy the craft of building traditional bows.
Forum rules
No selling of traditional bows you manufactured. Only sponsors are allowed to post new bows for sale.
Carpdaddy
Site Admin

Re: The creation of the ShadowCarp

#351 Post by Carpdaddy »

Ole long arms gave the ShadowCarp a good test today, he draws two inches longer than I do. ShadowCarp didn't mind.

Shadowhntr

#352 Post by Shadowhntr »

The real question now is, did your trees survive his shooting? !?!?!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
The element of surprise can never be replaced by persistence.

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#353 Post by Carpdaddy »

He did leave an insert and point in a not dead as it looked stump!

Shadowhntr

#354 Post by Shadowhntr »

:shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:
The element of surprise can never be replaced by persistence.

Longtrad

#355 Post by Longtrad »

ive heard you can seal oily wood with superglue, I also know waterbased stuff cures on it then you can use oil based version of the same product. I also think wheel paint cures on oily woods.

Most people use the VHT brand of wheel paint but I couldnt find any at the store, I am going to try this kind out http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rust-Oleum-2489 ... Sw9GhYkJPR

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#356 Post by Carpdaddy »

Good timing Clay, I just finished scraping and sanding all the tacky Tru-Oil off and sealing with superglue! We shall see how that works out.

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#357 Post by Carpdaddy »

First I went out and played with brace height and nock point, I'll get there. Also the Bocote is only a few pieces on the belly, the back has only Zebrawood.

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#358 Post by Carpdaddy »

I have been struggling with the Tru-Oil on Bocote, it just doesn't want to dry. I have heard of another trick that I had heard of but never tried before, Steve & Clay mentioned it also, using CA glue. So I gave it a try, dried in a few minutes. Anyone have experience with this that can advise? Certainly not something I want to smell or handle for that matter but it worked. I normally do several coats of oil, not sure what to do with this stuff.

Longtrad

#359 Post by Longtrad »

I played with it finishing a couple scrap pieces and that hobo knife I made.... if you get it to lay down quick and smooth it dries into a nice clean, wet looking finish, if you fudge it up or try to get too move it around too much it will get foggy, the foggy part has to be sanded out. I had better luck using it to fill grain and seal, but if you can get it on quick it makes a nice strong finish.

What worked best for me was very thin application and trying to smooth it all over the area as fast as I could, then let it set up really hard before you touch it or work with it again. sand off any bad areas, it blends well into itself.

I'm sure some of the gurus on the other forum will have a lot more experience with it and advice.

It's no fun to breath, that's for sure.

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#360 Post by Carpdaddy »

I got to get your timing set right Clay! :lol: :lol: Today I learned the hard way some of the things you just said. I got to slow down or you got to speed up, it would save me some trouble. :oops: :lol:

Return to “The Bowyer”