The creation of the ShadowCarp

How to's, questions, and build alongs for those who enjoy the craft of building traditional bows.
Forum rules
No selling of traditional bows you manufactured. Only sponsors are allowed to post new bows for sale.
Carpdaddy
Site Admin

Re: The creation of the ShadowCarp

#301 Post by Carpdaddy »

Pretty ain't it?

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#302 Post by Carpdaddy »

Your right; it was a little much..

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#303 Post by Carpdaddy »

Forgot and left my camera home when I went out to shoot. Should have had a picture of my first outdoor shot with it. Oh well.

Shadowhntr

#304 Post by Shadowhntr »

Yes its pretty! Awesome and unique bow! What does it weight out at Tony?
The element of surprise can never be replaced by persistence.

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#305 Post by Carpdaddy »

Real close to 40, maybe just over. Haven't tested on a scale yet.

Shadowhntr

#306 Post by Shadowhntr »

You are the most patient man I think I know! I think I would have to put it on the scale ASAP. I can't stand waiting for presents!!!!

Shadowhntr

#307 Post by Shadowhntr »

Man that is such an ideal weight. My last several bows (before Toelke), I wrestled with the idea of going to a 40, but fear it wasnt enough had always stopped me. I have my ol Shakespeare Yukon that is 40, but I still was hesitant to reach for it, and always grabbed the 45lb + bows. I should have spent more time shooting a 40, and maybe then id have realized it is plenty for deer and turkey like I hunt. Nowdays, as I have gained more knowledge, I realized that 40lb is actually worlds plenty. Now that this Whip is in my life, I dont even give a second thought to its 40 lb weight, and just shoot it. When I went from 52# down to 45#, I was really happy with the abilities it gave me for long practice sessions and less sore joints. Now As Ive aged, 40 is feeling very very nice.

I will say, I have noticed an increased demand for better and better form/release as I dropped draw weight. To me that is a good thing because in the end it makes me a better shooter as I break those bad habits....which is NOT easy I might add. For instance, I've been working for almost a year now, trying to keep my string hand in line with my arrow upon release and even after the release. I find my sloppy release, to be 90% of my inaccuracy problems. With the lower poundage bows, that arrow really tells on me. I think with a heavier bow I still had a bad release and had caused me inaccuracy issues....I just wasnt able to narrow it down to being my release as the cause because the arrows recovered faster and I couldnt notice it.. at the time, I thought I simply wasnt concentrating enough! However, I've learned my bad/inconsistent release ALONE, is causing up to 6" of variance from point of aim and commonly 3"-4."
If I keep my hand lightly touching and lightly dragging across my face upon release and finally landing at my ear lobe....the arrow will hit smack where im "aiming" every single time. Breaking old habits is tough though.

Anyway, the light bow is an excellent way of curing form problems in my view....as well as having those obvious benifits like less fatigue, shoulder ease, etc..... im loving 40lbs. That sure is a beautiful one Tony!

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#308 Post by Carpdaddy »

It will change a little with final sanding, I just go by feel, if I like it it's good! :mrgreen:
I still have a mental struggle with feeling confident shooting 40lb at deer, even though I have seen the mile long threads of people who have done it. I made this one longer than most of my others just because I wanted a longer bow. If I don't get comfortable with the lighter weight I will cut it down from a 64" to a 62", that should put me around 45#. But not doing it too quickly, I may overcome the mental worry.

Shadowhntr

#309 Post by Shadowhntr »

I think you will over come it as you experiment with your arrows. In my early findings, anything from 600gr-700gr with good FOC are hitting like a Mac truck out of 40lb. A lot of times I have just as much difficulties pulling my arrows from the target as I do with 45lb. Im thinking since you like to shoot out to 30 yards (or beyond), you may want to stay closer to the 600gr mark.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#310 Post by Captainkirk »

Shadowhntr wrote:... Nowdays, as I have gained more knowledge, I realized that 40lb is actually worlds plenty. Now that this Whip is in my life, I dont even give a second thought to its 40 lb weight, and just shoot it. When I went from 52# down to 45#, I was really happy with the abilities it gave me for long practice sessions and less sore joints. Now As Ive aged, 40 is feeling very very nice....
I will say, I have noticed an increased demand for better and better form/release as I dropped draw weight. To me that is a good thing because in the end it makes me a better shooter as I break those bad habits....which is NOT easy I might add. For instance, I've been working for almost a year now, trying to keep my string hand in line with my arrow upon release and even after the release. I find my sloppy release, to be 90% of my inaccuracy problems. With the lower poundage bows, that arrow really tells on me. I think with a heavier bow I still had a bad release and had caused me inaccuracy issues....I just wasnt able to narrow it down to being my release as the cause because the arrows recovered faster and I couldnt notice it.. at the time, I thought I simply wasnt concentrating enough! However, I've learned my bad/inconsistent release ALONE, is causing up to 6" of variance from point of aim and commonly 3"-4."...
...Anyway, the light bow is an excellent way of curing form problems in my view....as well as having those obvious benifits like less fatigue, shoulder ease, etc..... im loving 40lbs. That sure is a beautiful one Tony!
This is exactly what I experienced when switching to the Tamerlane. At first I found the arrows a little slow...so I switched over to ultralight carbons. Trajectory flattened, speed went way up (visually...never chrono'd them). But the difference in shooting form and endurance was the big ticket item. I can shoot as long as I wish without the negative physical effects, and it really amplifies both mistakes and positive feedback. I'm sure your Whip is much the same!
Aim small, miss small!

Return to “The Bowyer”