The creation of the ShadowCarp

How to's, questions, and build alongs for those who enjoy the craft of building traditional bows.
Forum rules
No selling of traditional bows you manufactured. Only sponsors are allowed to post new bows for sale.
Carpdaddy
Site Admin

The creation of the ShadowCarp

#1 Post by Carpdaddy »

:lol: :lol: Okay; since I'm not getting to hunt much lately the wheels are beginning to turn again in my mind on making my 2017 bow. :mrgreen: That itch began to grow worse when a buddy came by last night and dropped off a large piece of plywood for me to make a new bow form from. This will be the first time that I already have the name, usually I ask you guys to recommend names. So my first step will be to create a design for my new form to come from. Then I will have to come up with the financial support since I don't have such a thing as extra cash! Luckily I have a few local friends that are willing to buy the materials for two bows. They buy the materials and I build the bows, mine is free and theirs is the cost of materials for both. Got two fellas that I think will want in so I may let them split materials and build three bows this time! It's early in the game now but the wheels are turning fast in the creation of the "ShadowCarp"! :idea: :mrgreen: :idea:

Longtrad

Re: The creation of the ShadowCarp

#2 Post by Longtrad »

oh man I'm getting excited to see what you come up with Tony! any particular style of bow in mind?

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#3 Post by Captainkirk »

Sump'n tells me green glass?
Aim small, miss small!

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#4 Post by Carpdaddy »

No green this time, Big Dude is done lusting and looking at some exotic woods, clear glass over some type of purdy veneers. I have some bocote, bubinga, Purple Heart, Rosewood, and others for riser blocks. My first step will be the profile, been looking at some others bows strung and unstrung seeing what appeals.

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#5 Post by Carpdaddy »

You all remember last time a piece of this stuff showed up? It's just a little over 1 1/2" thick and makes a great bow form. It came from a local business that receives large motors on top of it. They throw it out but a buddy that worked there got it for me.

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#6 Post by Carpdaddy »

I would tack a strip of aluminum on it in different shapes with a paper cut out riser and ask opinions, that will start again soon.

Longtrad

#7 Post by Longtrad »

oh man looks like you got the wheels turning. I always liked how they did the risers on the old bear bows where you could see the different types of wood.

the 1959 and 1960 are a good example in this pic

http://s190.photobucket.com/user/katswa ... b.jpg.html

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#8 Post by Carpdaddy »

Cool; I like those contrasting woods. Here is a few of my old wild ones.

Longtrad

#9 Post by Longtrad »

that is too cool. I love how you got the snakeskin in the sight window. I have never seen that before. Sounds like you have some nice riser woods to choose from too.

I was noticing some old boards in a run down tack barn that I thought would make really cool limb veneer. I'm not sue what kind of wood they are or if old wood like that can hold up.

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#10 Post by Carpdaddy »

The veneers under the glass is normally only .030 thick so don't have as much of an impact as the core wood. Actually the glass does most of the work, not to say that the woods does not matter. The norm for most is to have two core lams, one or both tapered, and the two veneers on the outside just under the glass. Just keep in mind as the work begins and progresses that I am not a bowyer by profession and I do not make or sell bows for profit. I have given many away to family members and just a few others. I do let a few close friends purchase materials as I mentioned above but there is no guarantee in how they will turn out. So far it has turned out good but they know I'm just a shade tree bowyer. :ugeek:

Return to “The Bowyer”