All wood bows

How to's, questions, and build alongs for those who enjoy the craft of building traditional bows.
Forum rules
No selling of traditional bows you manufactured. Only sponsors are allowed to post new bows for sale.
stumper

All wood bows

#1 Post by stumper »

Just curious here I want your all's thoughts are on all wood bows. I gather that they don't have the durability of fiberglass backed Bows but I'm curious about them all the same are there any benefits how do they shoot? Any info would be great.
Nothing clears a troubled mind like shooting a bow.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

Re: All wood bows

#2 Post by Captainkirk »

Definitely slower than glass and subject to more ills as a result of age and abuse. But that being said, they sure feel great to shoot, especially a self bow.
Aim small, miss small!

Shadowhntr

#3 Post by Shadowhntr »

It all depends on several factors for all your questions about selfbows. Wood type, wood quality, and the skill of the bowyer all are major influences. Some selfbows of good material and with a backing made by the right hands, may last for years and years with minimal set taking place. Others wont make 5 shots if all the negatives are against the bow. Speed is the same. Different materials, and builders have different results. A good self bow should launch hunting weight arrows 140-150 fps, or in some cases more. I love the selfbows, and is how I got into longbows. They are a bit more involved when it comes to tuning because the arrow "shelf" is almost or is non existant, forcing the archer to be more pin point in the arrows tuning so the archers paradox will come into fruition with spine and clear the riser, yet shoot straight. One of the amazing mysteries you dont notice much with center cut modern bows. How the arrow for a right handed person can be pointing feet too far to the left, then upon release fly straight to the target is an odd yet alluring experience.
The element of surprise can never be replaced by persistence.

Shadowhntr

#4 Post by Shadowhntr »

As far as benifit, that largely depends on your definition of benifit and how you would interpret it. Benifits to better your chances hunting, or get better accuracy, or better penetration, or feel better upon the shot???....no I dont think so.

However, if you interpret the word benifit, by meaning you as a builder, or archer that has method hunting in the fore front of thought and goal, so you could recieve a more bountiful supply of personal satisfaction and achievement, and learning to get closer to game,,, then yes by all means its a benifit.

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#5 Post by Carpdaddy »

My venture into bow building began with selfbows. It all began when I read Dean Thorges book called "Hunting the Osage bow". I couldn't get my hands on any Osage around here so I cut down a few hickory, dried them, and went to work with the draw knife. My first turned out about 25lb, then I slowly began to progress, finally I could build a huntable bow. Tried a few other local woods but sapwood from a pig bark hickory worked best, much better if you can get Osage. Before I could get real good at building them I got interested in building fiberglass backed bows and never looked back. They are fun to make and shoot, cost near nothing if you can cut your own wood, and great for learning. They will take set if not properly dried or built but some folks can build a great hunting bow and need nothing more to hunt with. Mine were not but there are guys that can make a selfbows that is right up there with some glass backed bows. They need to always be unstrung when not in use. All wood bows would also include laminated bows with bamboo or some other backing and many would argue that they can rank up there with or very near any glass bow, I wouldn't know as I never had one.

Shadowhntr

#6 Post by Shadowhntr »

The one I had, was hickory, backed with bamboo. It was pretty amazing at how well it shot. It was right at 50# @28".

Another very good book/series is The Bowyers Bible. I got the one volume that had all the selfbow making in it, and choosing, harvesting, and handling wood. Highly recommended.

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#7 Post by Carpdaddy »

LinemanSteve on here sometimes builds a few Osage bows. He also has a Bamboo backed Osage bow built by Ed Neet that really spits an arrow.
[url=http://s939.photo%20bucket.com/user/tcj59/media/Shooting/44986ED2-3113-4AF7-84BB-24C418BF1239_zpsozfijvs1.jpg.html]Image[/url]

Shootalot

#8 Post by Shootalot »

I agree with Shadowhntr. With the right bowyer and material they can shoot right with glass bows of the same design. Durability is the only drawback. The only benefit I can think of, if you took an animal with a bow that you cut the wood, made the bow, made a sinew string, made a dogwood or river cane arrow. and made the flint arrowhead like the Indians did, you can be very proud because you have done something very few modern bowhunters have done. You are in an elite group. (I'm not in that group, wish I was!)

Longtrad

#9 Post by Longtrad »

To me the appeal of self bows is using one from a particular time period or region... you know have the same kind of bow the peoples of that time and place used.

There is a cool video on youtube of an interview with a self bowyer named Ed Scott, it's worth the watch imo, he made some really cool self bows.

coon dog

#10 Post by coon dog »

I,ve got 4 recurves wood golden hawk magnum built by Steve Gore it shoots great for a short bow . Have killed deer at 35yds. no problem. I have and old bear recurve 58" it shoots great. A FITA bow by hoyt it shoots fast 220fps and great but nothing you want to drag around the woods. hoyt game master love it. I think a guy needs to go to some big shoots with a lot of venders and try some bows.another one of my favorites is black widow sweet bows.

Return to “The Bowyer”