Started on my first Bow (actually #2)

How to's, questions, and build alongs for those who enjoy the craft of building traditional bows.
Forum rules
No selling of traditional bows you manufactured. Only sponsors are allowed to post new bows for sale.
Carpdaddy
Site Admin

Re: Started on my first Bow

#76 Post by Carpdaddy »

Looks great Kamn, been there on the router bite! The picture makes me wonder how high and heavy the whole thing is? Are you putting it into a hot box when glued? My back hurt just thinking about working off the floor like that! I'm past those days.

Kamn

#77 Post by Kamn »

Its not that heavy, the square tubing is all 1/16 wall.....so it doesn't weigh a ton

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#78 Post by Carpdaddy »

Good; looking forward to your build.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#79 Post by Captainkirk »

Here as well. Very intriguing build.
Aim small, miss small!

Shadowhntr

#80 Post by Shadowhntr »

Looking good kamn, I like the truck, should be a good one.
The element of surprise can never be replaced by persistence.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#81 Post by Captainkirk »

Yup. Everyone needs a truck.
Aim small, miss small!

Cookies

#82 Post by Cookies »

Nice form, Kamn, and sweet truck! That'll do you well at the new land!

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#83 Post by Carpdaddy »

I'm very excited to get to see others building bows on here, the bowyers section has been a lonely place for me these last few years. Can't wait to see what you produce Kamn, the attention to detail, and preparation efforts tell me that you will be a great bowyer.

Kamn

#84 Post by Kamn »

Tony, my goal is to be able to produce a good quality shooting bow and I hope that is what I will achieve. My only wish at this time, is to be able to spend a few full days to get it together and in the oven cooking, but I have to be patient and work on it when I have the chance.
I already have plans for a few others and I think all of these will get me to a better understanding of how all the various components come together to be able to produce a certain #'s at a certain draw length, or the effects of riser length and fades have on the bows performance etc etc
Its all a large learning curve that I would love to be able to spend my days doing

But you wont be alone anymore ;)

Kamn

Re: Started on my first Bow (actually #2)

#85 Post by Kamn »

So when I updated last, I had made a new form and since then I glued up a walnut and cherry riser

riser rough cut

Well after working the riser to shape, I ended up sanding just a tad too much off the lower section and had to set it aside for another project and once again make a new riser. The latest riser is walnut with a bamboo core

And you will forgive me but I failed to take pics while I was prepping and glueing it up, but here it is in the new form all squished down.....which was a pain in the butt to keep it all straight. Pumped it up to 70psi and put it in the oven

Checked in on it while cooking

And this morning I let the air out of the hose but haven't taken it apart to see what I have, maybe later today I will get a chance to do that

And in the meantime, I ordered a few supplies to get some hunting arrows together

Gold tip traditional shafts in 400 and 500 spine, some new feathers, and coming soon are brass (100g) inserts with extra weights to screw in as well as broad heads (sorry no pics of the other stuff because Im still waiting for it to show up)

Return to “The Bowyer”