Started on my first Bow (actually #2)

How to's, questions, and build alongs for those who enjoy the craft of building traditional bows.
Forum rules
No selling of traditional bows you manufactured. Only sponsors are allowed to post new bows for sale.
Longtrad

Re: Started on my first Bow

#31 Post by Longtrad »

they make me want to try my hand at building a bow too! I sure would like a static tip recurve... maybe i could find a template for one of those.

Kamn

#32 Post by Kamn »

Let me know if you want me to share the template I have of this one or one of the Bingham's I have

Kamn

#33 Post by Kamn »

The other night I got started on prepping my form for the glue up today. I have seen this on another thread in some other forum where a gent added EPDM rubber roofing membrane to the form base and metal pressure strip, essentially giving the form some "push back" to the bow, so I copied what he did to see how it will help

Then this morning I started prepping everything, like waxing the rubber on the form and meta pressure strip

Then clean all the pieces with acetone

place the wood strips in the oven to heat up and open the pores

Then measure out the epoxy for equal parts, mix it, line the from with saran wrap (which I think I made a huge mess of and will have epoxy all over the pressure strip and I hope I didn't bond it to the bow!)

Then get the bands out, which are just bicycle inner tubes cut up into strip

And I wont try to show you the struggle to get this SOB all strapped down......I had bands popping on me, epoxy all over everything, and just a general pain in the ass, but worth it

And now its in the oven cooking away........may have an update later today when it comes out

Longtrad

#34 Post by Longtrad »

Awesome! how hot are the ovens supposed to be?

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#35 Post by Carpdaddy »

Alright Kamn; your after it this morning! I know what you mean on the bands, I've strained my gut strings too many times trying to put them on! Mine are from the tube of a big 18 wheeler truck, thick and tougher than me! I have had several break in the oven and even several pegs to break from the pressure.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#36 Post by Captainkirk »

Wow...looks to be a major PITA!
Aim small, miss small!

Kamn

#37 Post by Kamn »

I heard a pop about 15 minutes ago, so i opened the oven and sure as heck one of the bands broke so i quickly got another one strapped in.......I still have at least an hour of cooking
BUT! I also noticed the bottom glass shifted a 1/16 off to one side...SSSOOOBBB!!
Will see when it comes out and cools off, but I think I am going to have to trim a little off of both sides equally, then check the tiller and adjust accordingly

So, for the next one I know I need guide tabs on both sides of the form to keep it all from potentially shift left or right........its the first one fro me so its a huge learning curve (or should I say recurve LOL)

Kamn

#38 Post by Kamn »

Longtrad wrote:Awesome! how hot are the ovens supposed to be?
This one gets up to 180 degrees then the thermal switch cuts off the lights until it gets down to 150 and switches back on......bought it with my order from Binghams

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#39 Post by Carpdaddy »

Lams sliding is a pain that you have to get used too. I sometimes use strapping tape, zip ties, and plastic stretch tape. Tabs in the form helps also. I have been able to overcome some of the sliding issues when narrowing the limbs so don't panic just yet. Just find your center and work off it.

Kamn

#40 Post by Kamn »

Well??? It looks like I have a BOW! Whether it works or not is a whole different ball game but this is what I pulled out of the form after it cooled down

I didn't take any pics of where the riser tapers into the limbs but it looked solid and flowed together smoothly

Next will be cutting the limb tips to length and prepping both sides of the bow for sanding and then finding the proper centre

Im heading up north shortly with my wife to our new property purchase that I hope to harvest a Whitetail from this year.........maybe with a bow of my making. We are so excited about this place and have plans for a nice cabin to retire to in 5 or 6 years where we can live a more natural life away from all the hustle of busy people, have some peace and serenity.

Enjoy your beautiful Sunday Gentlemen

Return to “The Bowyer”