Started on my first Bow (actually #2)

How to's, questions, and build alongs for those who enjoy the craft of building traditional bows.
Forum rules
No selling of traditional bows you manufactured. Only sponsors are allowed to post new bows for sale.
Carpdaddy
Site Admin

Re: Started on my first Bow

#46 Post by Carpdaddy »

Very addictive stuff here, your destroyed now Kamn, you will never be able to stop building bows!

Kamn

#47 Post by Kamn »

Yes, yes it is
And better to be addicted to something constructive like making bows than anything thats destructive

Hopefully I will get a little more done tonight

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#48 Post by Captainkirk »

Look at it as a journey, Kam...this is Bow #1. Imagine if you will Bow #20...some cool stuff there! Just ask Tony...
Aim small, miss small!

Kamn

#49 Post by Kamn »

I can imagine bow #20.......I have the materials for bow number 2 waiting in the background

Shadowhntr

#50 Post by Shadowhntr »

Its really cool that you are putting everything into this kamn, thats what it takes bro. My hats off to you.
The element of surprise can never be replaced by persistence.

Kamn

#51 Post by Kamn »

Don't take your hat off just yet

Last night got to fixing the issues I had during the lay up, finding the centre, shaping the tips, and then I found a problem that makes this bow a non shooter and I will be stopping the project. I will for my own purposes continue to cut in the shelf and shape the riser because I need to go through the work of doing it and learning it through my hands.

And the problem

There is no way Im ever stringing this to get a black eye or worse.....just don't feel like having it blow apart on me knowing that it will.
I do like the shape and form of the bow as well as the Padauk red in the riser to the maple lams and black glass........so the next bow will be in the works (actually have the materials for the limbs but need material for riser), and a new form will be made with firehose pressure setup.
Thats it gents, but I will be back with the next one in a few weeks and start this all over again because I want a bow of my own I can hunt with.......and this work is satisfying

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#52 Post by Carpdaddy »

Wow Kamn; I hate that for you, but you will overcome and learn from it. I have a pile of bows in hiding out in my garage that taught me some valuable lessons! I do recommend that you practice shaping the riser just for the experience.

Kamn

#53 Post by Kamn »

I hoped that I would be able to shoot it but I also was well aware that something like this could happen so I wasnt too bummed about it, its all a lesson that needs to be learned just like life...mistakes are made, we learn and go forward with new knowledge and information. Its all part of the process
This weekend my wife and I will be travelling to the other side of Toronto to see her cousin and will be stopping in to a wood supplier ( a lot of guitar stuff) to pick up some new wood for the riser

Kamn

#54 Post by Kamn »

To be honest, Im just grateful that I have the opportunity and ability to be able to do this kind of project......many people don't for whatever reason/s

Shadowhntr

#55 Post by Shadowhntr »

So what was the mistake and how do you prevent it?
The element of surprise can never be replaced by persistence.

Return to “The Bowyer”