Brace height

How to's, questions, and build alongs for those who enjoy the craft of building traditional bows.
Forum rules
No selling of traditional bows you manufactured. Only sponsors are allowed to post new bows for sale.
Bar_BN

Brace height

#1 Post by Bar_BN »

Ok guys im just wondering, wether it be a oage selfbow or a laminated longbow or recurve , how does one determine the best brace height range ? Is there a formula to bow length or something? What got me thinking about this is i recently bought a morrison ilf recurve and im way cofused on determing brace height and string length if i was to trade the limbs for like longer or shorter longbow/recurve limbs would it change the brace height and if so how do i go about determining the right new brace height and string length or if im building a selfbow or lam bow , what are the steps to determine the rt brace height ranges ?
They give theyre lives for you and your family!!! That deserves ultimate respect!!! Move like an Oak Tree , sound like an Acorn...
53# black widow psa v "47@27"
55# ML-10 lngbw

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

Re: Brace height

#2 Post by Carpdaddy »

That's a good question and I don't know the answer to it. I don't know of a formula for figuring this, I can only speak from my limited experience as a shade tree bow builder. What I do is begin trying strings from various bows I have around that are the same length. Then I spend time shooting, changing, and twisting until I find what I call that sweet spot. There is usually a brace height that makes the bow shoot the quietest and feels the best in my hand. With my old and worn out memory I started writing string length and brace height on my bows, it keeps me from going through the whole process again! I hope someone has a better answer. Headed out on a two hour drive to Dr for checkup now.

Shadowhntr

#3 Post by Shadowhntr »

I think pretty much Carpy hit it squarely. I also think home made bows present a bit more of a problem then production or custom bows do evolving this. With them, there is generally enough info on the web to get ya going, or you can contact the makers for the info to cover a range of brace heights that you will find a sweet spot in. Many custom bow makers can tell you almost exactly where the sweet spot is on their bows they make. My last 3 custom bows have been dead on with what the makers said. With home made bows, you are pretty much bound to trial and error.
The element of surprise can never be replaced by persistence.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#4 Post by Captainkirk »

+1 to both above posts
Aim small, miss small!

Return to “The Bowyer”