Hunting the Osage Bow build along **Teaching a bow to bend**

How to's, questions, and build alongs for those who enjoy the craft of building traditional bows.
Forum rules
No selling of traditional bows you manufactured. Only sponsors are allowed to post new bows for sale.
Shadowhntr

Re: Hunting the Osage Bow build along

#106 Post by Shadowhntr »

Dave I couldnt agree with you more....the stave issue has been the main reason I've not proceeded to carve one out myself. To compound my problems I have no way of measuring and controlling the woods moisture in drying even if I went to go harvest staves myself. So.....I sit here wondering when or if I'll ever carve myself a bow.
The element of surprise can never be replaced by persistence.

stumper

#107 Post by stumper »

Shadowhntr wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:04 pm Dave I couldnt agree with you more....the stave issue has been the main reason I've not proceeded to carve one out myself. To compound my problems I have no way of measuring and controlling the woods moisture in drying even if I went to go harvest staves myself. So.....I sit here wondering when or if I'll ever carve myself a bow.
It's unfortunate to say the least... I really do think the biggest issue of getting into this was wood sourcing (thought I had this figured out). Additionally end of my stave is also cracked down about 4 inches long on one side(or least thats how long I can see). Which to me, based on what I have read means something didn't go right in the drying/sealing process. I didnt make a big deal about this because I figured I would just cut it off, as the stave is longer than I need. However, now that I have an issue in the middle of the stave, I am going to have to be super intentional with this. I know hickory is a lot easier to source and (I have access to it). Perhaps I could do something like a bamboo backed hickory bow, so that even though hickory is not good mositure wise the bamboo helps it keep its cast... I dont know... I really want this to work and I feel that I am doing my part.
Nothing clears a troubled mind like shooting a bow.

Graps

#108 Post by Graps »

I said it before, you have more patients than I do. :?
"Maybe the truly handicapped people are the ones that don't need God as much." ~ Joni Eareckson Tada

Shadowhntr

#109 Post by Shadowhntr »

I tend not to care for hickorys feel on the shot. Of course bamboo backed is all I've shot. Lots of whipping in rebound on the ones I shot. Maybe it was the particular bows? IDK....guess there may be no alternative way to go though....

stumper

#110 Post by stumper »

Hmm. All I know is that I can get a hickory stave and bamboo backing for under 100 bucks and would already be on tillering.

Shadowhntr

#111 Post by Shadowhntr »

Gotta be worth a try Dave.

stumper

#112 Post by stumper »

Shadowhntr wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:28 pm Gotta be worth a try Dave.
We will see how this one goes. And the next one I do (which I will do before the end of the year), I'll try the hickory backed with bamboo. I get free shipping too... Gotta give it a shot. If I could make nice shootable bows for 100 bucks that would be killer.

Shadowhntr

#113 Post by Shadowhntr »

How's it going Dave did it work out?

stumper

#114 Post by stumper »

Shadowhntr wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:36 pm How's it going Dave did it work out?
I have a string order i am trying to fulfill for Tom. I'll probably get some work done on it after, I get all them strings done. I have about 1/4 of the stave chased on the fifth ring of heartwood.

stumper

#115 Post by stumper »

Middle child came home sick from school. We chased about 2/3 the stave then ordered a rasp and a set of speciality scrapers. Full steam ahead.
Attachments
0AE853BA-427D-4DD2-920C-B50A1A85F57D.jpeg
0AE853BA-427D-4DD2-920C-B50A1A85F57D.jpeg (125.44 KiB) Viewed 103 times
9FCCCECC-C841-4F31-AF72-76BB403F7D2C.jpeg
9FCCCECC-C841-4F31-AF72-76BB403F7D2C.jpeg (116.09 KiB) Viewed 103 times

Return to “The Bowyer”