Is spine requirement indicative of performance?

How to's, questions, and build alongs for those who enjoy the craft of building traditional bows.
Forum rules
No selling of traditional bows you manufactured. Only sponsors are allowed to post new bows for sale.
Longtrad

Is spine requirement indicative of performance?

#1 Post by Longtrad »

Do you guys think the spine needed for a bow has relation to its performance?

For example you have two bows that are both cut to center, both are the same draw weight, and both are shooting an arrow with the same point weight, BUT one bow needs a stiffer arrow than the other.

Do you think the bow that needed a stiffer arrow would also be a better preformer? I assume so , but I was wondering if there might be some aspects I am missing

Graps

Re: Is spine requirement indicative of performance?

#2 Post by Graps »

I have 4 bows that are within 3# of each other.
2 of them like a 70-75 arrow with 125gr tip. ( Longbows 43# and 42# )
one of them likes a 60-65 with 125gr tip. ( Bear Takedown 45# )
And one bow likes a 80-85 with 125gr tip. ( Bear Kodiak Magnum 45# )
As far as performance, the speed is within a couple of feet per second and that could just be my own inconsistency.
I personally never worry about that kind of thing, a bow is an individual and each one will like what it will.
Tune the bow to what it likes and if you are like me, take notes so you don't forget. :D
"Maybe the truly handicapped people are the ones that don't need God as much." ~ Joni Eareckson Tada

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#3 Post by Captainkirk »

I agree with Dale. Let the bow tell you what it likes, then shut up and listen.
Aim small, miss small!

dougedwards

#4 Post by dougedwards »

Sometimes I let those charts dictate which spine is best for my bows. Bad move! Bare shaft tuning helps some but accuracy of the fletched arrows will tell me the most.

Doug
"Therefore, having put away falsehood, let each one of you speak the truth with his neighbor, for we are members one of another."
Ephesians 4:25

Grizzly

#5 Post by Grizzly »

Wow, how many variables might affect the spine requirement, such as number of twists in the string; type of string; silencers and their position; type of nock; nock height, grip used on the bow; limb construction; riser geometry; how far you draw each different bow; does one stack more or less; are you simply more comfortable with one and more relaxed; do you tend to overdraw one more than the others; Do you shoot the recurve straight up with a longer draw and a longbow canted more, shortening the draw? How much of all this affects arrow spine? I've never been that fussy and have paid for it when caught in the rain during a shoot and the feathers all laid down and the arrows went everywhere. Performance didn't amount to a hill of beans then.

I only tended to fine tune everything on the bow or bows I was the most serious with for whatever reason, be it hunting or something like field shooting. I had one warf recurve that a bare shaft would group with the feathered shafts at some ridiculously long range of 40 to 60 yards. That's the same bow I called a shot on a 3d wolf target at "right between the eyes" from the shooting stake and made it. The arrow broke the crease in the foam that ran between the eyes and was perfectly centered. When I sold that bow to one of the guys we shot with everyone wished it had gone elsewhere. :) I bought that bow years ago from Rod Jenkins at Cloverdale. That gal who shot on the first Masters of the Bow video had used it to win Cloverdale the year before.
Jesus replaces the old covenant and speaks to the believer the moral code of God by His Spirit directly to the heart. He is the eternal, everlasting revelation of God to mankind. In Him is both the knowledge of righteousness and the power to live right.

Shadowhntr

#6 Post by Shadowhntr »

A person at first might be tempted to say Yes, to your question. But, to do so I feel ignores all the other things that could possibly come in to it. If exactly EVERYTHING was equal....then I do believe the bow requiring a higher spine would indeed be a harder shooting bow. I'm not completely convinced that we can actually make two bows identical in every way however, so from a technical standpoint the answer is yes, but in real world application....no I don't think so.
The element of surprise can never be replaced by persistence.

stumper

#7 Post by stumper »

Moved post to proper thread
Nothing clears a troubled mind like shooting a bow.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#8 Post by Captainkirk »

What do you think of Torges' theory about round vs flat? Most of the negative reviews on Amazon of the book addressed this theory...
Aim small, miss small!

stumper

#9 Post by stumper »

Whoops I posted on wrong thread
Nothing clears a troubled mind like shooting a bow.

Return to “The Bowyer”