Elk Seeker longbow build

How to's, questions, and build alongs for those who enjoy the craft of building traditional bows.
Forum rules
No selling of traditional bows you manufactured. Only sponsors are allowed to post new bows for sale.
Captainkirk
Site Admin

Re: Elk Seeker longbow build

#61 Post by Captainkirk »

You want VIDEO? :shock:
Well, I can't shoot the dadgum bow and hold the phone at the same time, so you'll just have to wait until my son and I shoot together. Could be sometime within oh, say...the next year or so?
Aim small, miss small!

Jose

#62 Post by Jose »

Captainkirk wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:04 pm Jose', Elkman builds a really nice bow. He built the Elk Seeker that Larry gifted me.
Well, now I'm all confused!... :lol: sorry Tom I thought it was Larry for some reason. Well great looking bow Tom!!

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#63 Post by Captainkirk »

Flatline Bows LLC wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 4:34 am
Captainkirk wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:04 pm Jose', Elkman builds a really nice bow. He built the Elk Seeker that Larry gifted me.
Well, now I'm all confused!... :lol: sorry Tom I thought it was Larry for some reason. Well great looking bow Tom!!
You're excused from blame, Jose'. We know you have turkey on the brain.
Aim small, miss small!

Elkman
Site Admin

#64 Post by Elkman »

Flatline Bows LLC wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 4:34 am
Not a problem Jose'.

At a glance we both have the word man at the end of our usernames, they are both red. Easy to see how that mistake could happen.
Thanks for the compliment!
Calling Elk - Awesome! !€

Shadowhntr

#65 Post by Shadowhntr »

Don't worry Jose I made the same mistake at first....
The element of surprise can never be replaced by persistence.

Elkman
Site Admin

#66 Post by Elkman »

Carpdaddy wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 4:14 am Man you got some fancy tools and big time equipment Tom, I want to borrow your garage to build one!!
Looking good.
Thanks Tony!

Since I was a cabinet maker for almost 20 years, I figured I should get equipment that would help me in both bows and cabinets.

Elkman
Site Admin

#67 Post by Elkman »

Finally back to it! I decided to go ahead and put some string nocks in the tips.

first-string-groove.jpg
first-string-groove.jpg (69.22 KiB) Viewed 158 times

After a little sanding to smooth the string grooves, I string up the bow using my Selway Longbow bow stringer. I check tiller. Top limb was just a little stronger than the bottom limb. Both limbs have a little lean. I can't believe I forgot to take a picture of the braced bow. :oops:

Bottom limb is not to bad.

bottom-tip-going-a-bit-to-right.jpg
bottom-tip-going-a-bit-to-right.jpg (72.15 KiB) Viewed 158 times
Top limb is a little worse.

top-tip-going-left.jpg
top-tip-going-left.jpg (76.55 KiB) Viewed 158 times

Now the back and forth game to the sander and back to bracing to check my progress keeping the string centered, adjusting the tiller and straightening the limbs. When I get close I will go ahead and prep and put on the tip overlays.

Shadowhntr

#68 Post by Shadowhntr »

Captainkirk wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 4:34 am You want VIDEO? :shock:
Well, I can't shoot the dadgum bow and hold the phone at the same time, so you'll just have to wait until my son and I shoot together. Could be sometime within oh, say...the next year or so?
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Shadowhntr

#69 Post by Shadowhntr »

Lol Tom! I love the bolded "Stringer". :lol:

Hey those are GORGEOUS tips and are VERY appealing to me. I'm loving this bow so far. Limbs are going to be phenomenal I'm certain.

Elkman
Site Admin

#70 Post by Elkman »

After a while I finally get the tiller and all pretty close to where I want them. Now I will prep the tip overlays.
As with some of the other parts I will again use the dimensional sander to make the glue surfaces rougher. Then I will cut them to size.

cut-tip-overlays2.jpg
cut-tip-overlays2.jpg (51.17 KiB) Viewed 148 times
cut-glass-tip-overlay-length.jpg
cut-glass-tip-overlay-length.jpg (61.1 KiB) Viewed 148 times
cutting-tip-overlays1.jpg
cutting-tip-overlays1.jpg (66.06 KiB) Viewed 148 times

The tip overlays are ready to epoxy in place. For this build I will do things a little different than most bowyers might.
It may take longer, but oh well! I go ahead and mix up some more Smooth-On EA-40 and clamp the overlays in place.

tip-overlays-prep.jpg
tip-overlays-prep.jpg (48.72 KiB) Viewed 148 times

After clamping, I put the tips into a different heat box made just for tip and handle overlays. I have a temperature control unit to control the temp. It is set to keep the temperature at 150° to 155°. WE'LL UNDER THE TEMPERATURE THAT THE BOW WAS COOKED AT!

clamped-tip-overlays.jpg
clamped-tip-overlays.jpg (60.66 KiB) Viewed 148 times
small-heat-box-cooking-tip-overlays.jpg
small-heat-box-cooking-tip-overlays.jpg (62.21 KiB) Viewed 148 times

The small heat box is also put on a timer and each bow tip is cooked for about 30 to 45 minutes. Just enough time to allow the epoxy and overlays to get up to a temp close to or at 150°. Once the epoxy gets to temp and then cools it is set.

Why do it this way?
The tip overlays and handle overlays are done just as well as the bow itself.

Return to “The Bowyer”