Hunt most of the day and

Use this area to give and to receive advise involved in taking photos, and making videos of your next traditional bow hunt and how to present them to the rest of us.
Forum rules
Post photography or video questions and advice only.
White Falcon

Hunt most of the day and

#1 Post by White Falcon »

See nothing, But this guy is hanging in my yard when I get home! :( :( Can't hunt where my house is. :( :(
TX. has a 13" spread inside the ears law. This deer is border line 13". The law has increased the # of bigger deer, I have to say!
Attachments
DSCN2690.JPG
DSCN2690.JPG (105.63 KiB) Viewed 711 times

Jose

Re: Hunt most of the day and

#2 Post by Jose »

That's a nice looking buck Grant! Isn't that the way it goes....

Lowcountry

#3 Post by Lowcountry »

IMO, That buck has a 13" inside spread - easy! Usually ear to ear on an alert deer like that is 18". I'd say that deer has an inside spread of 15 or 16 inches.

But then again, I don't live in Texas, so I'm not familiar with Texas deer.

Greg Felty

#4 Post by Greg Felty »

It looks bigger then 13 to me to.
For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.

Elkman
Site Admin

#5 Post by Elkman »

He's teasing you Grant. It's frustrating but cool at the same time.

I get Muledeer and very often good bucks on my place. I can't hunt them without a special Muledeer buck permit for my district. You have to apply and if they draw your name in a special drawing you get the permit sent to you if the quota hasn't been given out yet. They only issue 25. If you get the permit you can't hunt Muledeer anywhere else in the state of Montana. Without the permit you can hunt anywhere in the state that doesn't require a permit. Sometimes it is a tough choice, but I keep applying. Every year there are a few 190 or better class Muledeer in this district.

Hopefully you'll have an even bigger one come by next time you are at your hunting spot.
Calling Elk - Awesome! !€

White Falcon

#6 Post by White Falcon »

Texas says that a 13" buck is with ears in that position.
This deer was only 14" inside spread. If gun hunting, it is hard to tell at 100 yds.
Attachments
00small73075256 - Copy.JPG
00small73075256 - Copy.JPG (183.16 KiB) Viewed 700 times

Lowcountry

#7 Post by Lowcountry »

That's very interesting. I didn't know there was that much difference between regions. I know Texas has smaller (body size) deer, but my state of SC is not known for "big" deer. I would have guessed both of those deer were bigger than they are.I guess I forget that Texas is a huge state, and that South Texas deer, and West Hill country deer, and East deer are all different.

Well, regardless, cool to have a buck hanging out in your yard. I've come home to find deer in my neighborhood too. It has to make you laugh. Lol

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#8 Post by Captainkirk »

Here in the midwest, a deer's ears are generally 16" tip to tip. Based on that I probably would have shot that deer...and been in trouble! :oops:
At least you're seeing 'em!
Aim small, miss small!

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#9 Post by Carpdaddy »

Some draw areas here in Ky have a 15” limit, they use the outside the ears picture to help hunters determine, that one appears to fit the bill, or at least is borderline. So I also am surprised that these deer don’t measure up. Maybe everything is bigger in Texas except deer ears. Lol

Shadowhntr

#10 Post by Shadowhntr »

Too close to call grant you're right. Ear to ear is 16" here. It's kinda a ridiculous law you're dealing with really...what are they going to let you throw a tape across them before you shoot? All it does is make hunters second guess shooting and indeed make young buck survival increase. Makes you wonder what would happen when someone sees a monster nontypical that is only 13" wide but ridiculously tall with points going everywhere. It happens...that would suck.

There are better ways to increase the mature buck populations.
The element of surprise can never be replaced by persistence.

Return to “Photography and video”