Venison Pork breakfast sausage

Share your curing methods and recipes.
Forum rules
Share all recipes and anything pertaining to the cooking of wild game.
Ron Kulas

Venison Pork breakfast sausage

#1 Post by Ron Kulas »

I keep testing out different brands of seasons so Im evaluating the Old Style Breakfast Sausage seasoning from Frisco Spices. While The packet will season 25 pounds of straight pork, Im using a venison pork mix.

While the packet suggests 5 pounds of pork jowl and 20 pounds of venison, I like mine a little fattier. (It is breakfast sausage after all) and the pork adds moisture and flavor. Its really up to you and your tastes.

I ground the two meats together through a 3/8th plate and then mixed the seasoning packet with 2 cups of cold water to help distribute the spices more evenly.

Then the meat, spices and water got a spin in the mixer.

The next step after mixing is to grind the meat again through a finer plate. This time its an 1/8th inch plate.

The meat can be stuffed in casings to make links or bulk packed and the tubes sliced to make patties. Im bulk packing this batch.

After a night in the freezer I take a tube out to slice and fry to check out the grind and the flavoring (and to have breakfast)

Im please with the flavor of the Frisco Spices breakfast sausage. If I were to change anything for the next batch it would be to add a bit of crushed red pepper flakes since I like a little heat in my breakfast sausage.

If your looking for a new way to use your venison trim, this breakfast sausage seasoning is an easy choice.
The Joy is in the doing.

Return to “Recipes”