Venison Sous Vide

Share your curing methods and recipes.
Forum rules
Share all recipes and anything pertaining to the cooking of wild game.
Ron Kulas

Venison Sous Vide

#1 Post by Ron Kulas »

Im preparing a venison roast Sous Vide (Pronounced Sue Veed) which is French for "under Vacuum) There are a lot of reasons and benefits to cooking very lean cuts of wild game using this method that are explained at the link below.

http://www.modernistcookingmadeeasy.com ... de-cooking

Im using a bottom round roast from an archery killed doe.

When cleaned up it has almost no fat meaning this cut of meat will be very dry and tough if conventional cooking methods are used.

For flavor Im larding the roast with split cloves of garlic. You can lard a roast with frozen pieces of fat or bacon or onions or whatever you like. Without fat (fat equals flavor) these moisture and flavor additives will only enhance the flavor of the roast. Insert the tip of a knife to create a pocket and then slide your flavoring (in this case garlic) along side the blade while sliding the blade out of the roast.

I rubbed the outside of the roast with a dry rub steak seasoning but salt and pepper would suffice and then vacuum sealed the roast and placed it in the refrigerator overnight.

This roast will cook in the water bath for 6 hours at 135F. To ensure that there is water contacting all surfaces of the roast, I placed a canning jar ring on the bottom of the crock.

Now the roast will spend the next 6 hours under water. This should produce a medium rare roast. Cooking Sous Vide means no matter how long I cook this roast (6 or 8 or 12 or 24 hours), It will never get hotter than the water bath but will only get more tender with time. Like slow smoked brisket, low temps and time are used to break down the collagen in the meat into gelatin.

About an hour before the roast was finished I prepared some Hassleback potatoes with onion slices in between the slices.

Then brushed with meted butter and topped with parmesan cheese.

Baked at 425 for 45 minutes.

In the final minutes of cooking the roast I Sautéed mushrooms onions, white wine, salt and pepper.

After 7 hours the roast is finished.

Its not much to look at right out of the bag. Its lacking the sear that we are used to with meat.

Problem solved. Butane torch (not just for pastry chefs)

Now the outer surface has the charred mahogany color which really does nothing but make the meat look nicer.

Time for the big reveal. Medium rare.

Add some glazed carrots to round out the plate. The meat is tender enough to cut with a fork.

The Joy is in the doing.

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

Re: Venison Sous Vide

#2 Post by Carpdaddy »

Wow, you sir are a chef! Would love to pull up a chair at your table.

Kybownut

#3 Post by Kybownut »

Ron that look delicious, I just got through eating but I would still take a plate of that !

Ron Kulas

#4 Post by Ron Kulas »

Its one of the best ways to cook such a lean meat like venison. Its never dry and you dictate how well done it is.
The Joy is in the doing.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#5 Post by Captainkirk »

That looks fabulous! Another tip I learned for lean cuts of venison is roast in a covered roasting pan with water or gravy mix and wrap the roast in bacon. The fat and grease from the bacon seeps down into the meat and keeps it from drying out.
Aim small, miss small!

Cookies

#6 Post by Cookies »

Ron, I'm starting to think you should change your forum name to "Stay Fed"! That roast looks incredible!

How much would one expect to pay for one of those fancy vacuum machines and bags?

Ron Kulas

#7 Post by Ron Kulas »

I would not know as this home spun method works plenty well.
The Joy is in the doing.

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#8 Post by Carpdaddy »

Cookies; around here one of those food saver vacs would probably run you around $150, a roll of bags maybe $10-15. I recently picked up an off brand cheap one for about $50 after my old one died. Don't know about your Canadian prices.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#9 Post by Captainkirk »

Bass Pro and Cabelas both carry them, price varies on the model and features.
Aim small, miss small!

LOTW

#10 Post by LOTW »

How stable does the water temp Stay in the crock pot??

Return to “Recipes”