Lancaster County PA Mince meat recipe

Share your curing methods and recipes.
Forum rules
Share all recipes and anything pertaining to the cooking of wild game.
Longtrad

Re: Lancaster County PA Mince meat recipe

#11 Post by Longtrad »

Oh man I have never even heard of scrabble.

I lived a few years in Baden-Wuettemberg and saw all manner of strange meat scraps held together with meat jelly and formed into loaves and sausages of all kinds, that type of stuff seems to be dying out though, even over there. I never saw anyone I knew eating it. One of the most unsettling things I saw was a breakfast food called Mett.

raw seasoned ground pork, typically eating with raw onions on a crusty white roll. That will put some hair on your chest first thing in the morning.

Ole Dave

#12 Post by Ole Dave »

LT,

Scrabble is a board game, scrapple is different... :)

When they butcher hogs, they made scrapple from corn mush and everything left over but the squeal!

or

Scrapple, also known by the Pennsylvania Dutch name Pannhaas or "pan rabbit," is traditionally a mush of pork scraps and trimmings combined with cornmeal and wheat flour, often buckwheat flour, and spices. Wikipedia

Puddins might have been puddin meat which I found to be thus:

To make puddin’ meat, they would get a hog’s head and boil it for some time, and after it was very well cooked and then cooled down, Mom would clean the head and take all the actual meat from the bones. All the scraps-skin, bones, brains, and the like–got thrown to the dogs. Then with the meat and some of the liquid, she would stir in oatmeal, and cook it until it thickened. I suppose it got salted and peppered a little, but it didn’t have any other spices. She scooped the thickened combination into loaf pans, and they were put into the refrigerator to chill.

At the market there were loaf pans of the Scrapple which was brown, but the puddins were some ugly grey thing with white swirls that I have to think was fat, but don't know...never crossed my lips...
All we have and call our own, once belonged to someone else, and will again. Our purpose here is not to serve ourselves.

Bigfoot SAS LB (47# LB limbs 38# Semi Static RC limbs)

Couple of old Bear bows

Longtrad

#13 Post by Longtrad »

that doesnt sound bad if its just cheek meat and cornmeal, i think Id have to pass on the puddings as well. I think one of the strangest and worst things I ate was some kind of cold blood sausage. all in all food was terrific there. I would kill for a big plate of jaeger schnitzel, rotkohl, and fries right now.

Shadowhntr

#14 Post by Shadowhntr »

Pudding meats sounds exactly like what we call head cheese here in these parts. Never did get the hankering. ...
The element of surprise can never be replaced by persistence.

Ole Dave

#15 Post by Ole Dave »

Longtrad wrote:that doesnt sound bad if its just cheek meat and cornmeal, i think Id have to pass on the puddings as well. I think one of the strangest and worst things I ate was some kind of cold blood sausage. all in all food was terrific there. I would kill for a big plate of jaeger schnitzel, rotkohl, and fries right now.

Clay, I don't know those names, but then the PA DEUTCH were a off-branch of German...

Blood sausage... yup, heard of it and BLOOD SOUP, too, they made when butchering...with all the diseases in brains and nerve tissue and blood borne pathogens, I think some of those things when by the way side. Today folks crowd critters to maximize profits so more diseases show up.

I've heard of head cheese, but there are many things in my culture I never tried! Some were long gone by the time I got to where I could make my own choices. Mom was a RN and she recoiled at some of that stuff for health reasons...course that wasn't science.

I learned to cook cause by age 12 when old enough to small game hunt, I'd bring home stuff and she'd do it burnt, cajun was not a word for it! When I fussed, her comment was it was "wild" and she had to be sure "germs" were dead...

So I Learned to cook to avoid having my hard won game meat cremated! :(

But the LOOK of some of the stuff was enough to gag a maggot! I never partook!
All we have and call our own, once belonged to someone else, and will again. Our purpose here is not to serve ourselves.

Couple of old Bear bows

Longtrad

#16 Post by Longtrad »

Big group of germans settled in texas too. I met some mennonite germans from canada once... they spoke a very weird dialect.

Sorry to hijack your thread, just brought back some old memories lol.

Ole Dave

#17 Post by Ole Dave »

LT...STOP...it's not hijacking... it's about memories... started with food, cultures, Germans, then migrates to whatever is of interest... all good!

I looked over the Ozarks in AR and MO before settling on here... everything there was just 'sparse' but did run into one Mennonite biz with bulk foods. He was from KS I think...

That was a blast... GOODS STORE and we had one named the same back home run by Mennonites. I had a great visit with him, but realized his input helped me settle on the reality that was not where I needed to be...

Course, likely more land to hunt there then here, but still was pretty "sudden" country... up and down quick like!

Couple of old Bear bows

Return to “Recipes”