Help me come up with a design.

How to's, questions, and build alongs for those traditional archers who also enjoy the fine craft of making Custom Knives and Hawks.
Forum rules
Topics include Knife and Hawk questions, advice and build alongs.
Grizzly

Re: Help me come up with a design.

#11 Post by Grizzly »

IMAG0757knife rack - Copy.jpg
IMAG0757knife rack - Copy.jpg (69.84 KiB) Viewed 113 times
the Kershaw is on the right.
Jesus replaces the old covenant and speaks to the believer the moral code of God by His Spirit directly to the heart. He is the eternal, everlasting revelation of God to mankind. In Him is both the knowledge of righteousness and the power to live right.

Grizzly

#12 Post by Grizzly »

Junglee-HF-300x105.jpg
Junglee-HF-300x105.jpg (7.44 KiB) Viewed 112 times
I always wanted one of these and regret not putting one on lay away, back when I could have, before they stopped making them. Usefullness? It's what I would have wanted in Viet Nam. I don't think I would ever have another blade with a sharpened top edge. Just too dangerous for "me", the user. I had a 6" Kershaw like that once.
Jesus replaces the old covenant and speaks to the believer the moral code of God by His Spirit directly to the heart. He is the eternal, everlasting revelation of God to mankind. In Him is both the knowledge of righteousness and the power to live right.

Longtrad

#13 Post by Longtrad »

Oh my goodness Graps, those scales are truly amazing!

I agree with Grizzly about bolsters that go down flush into the blade. I don't like em!

Grizzly

#14 Post by Grizzly »

imagine those scales all oiled and polished. I regret never buying a Hummingbird recurve or longbow in his fancy maple years ago. They were good looking bows that fit my hand perfectly.

Grizzly

#15 Post by Grizzly »

download (5).jpg
download (5).jpg (6.47 KiB) Viewed 110 times
I came to prefer a 5" blade for deer. Everyone seems to be happy with 4", and I used one for years, but 5" was the perfect length for me getting up into the neck of a deer and also for reaching down along the sides. i probably would have gone for a different blade shape, but one of these showed up on a trading blanked at a bow shoot and became my favorite deer knife. A Case 216-5 5". I'm sure it's no accident that so many "utility" knives are 5". I would probably prefer that the blade not have all that heavy spine and blood groove or be hollow ground. A flat taper would make for a nice slicer if not too thin. I notice that this one also has some thumb serrations on the spine in front of the bolster for good finger traction.

Shadowhntr's blade in 5" would be about perfect - for me anyway. Does it have serrations, top and bottom?

What would be your preferred steel to work with? Got me curious now. Hard and long lasting edge holding or softer and easier touch up - or a compromise of both?

Graps

#16 Post by Graps »

I usually make the Ricaso at least 1/2" wide.
I knew a knife maker years ago that would leave the Ricssso 1" or more because he felt you should be able to have your index finger ahead of the guard for more control.
I'm not sure I agree with that. But there's no reason to have the cutting edge go all the way to the guard.
"Maybe the truly handicapped people are the ones that don't need God as much." ~ Joni Eareckson Tada

Graps

#17 Post by Graps »

Craig, my steel of choice is D-2. It is a high carbon high chrome steel. It is not easy to sharpen but it holds an edge very well.
It will rust, so you need to wipe it dry every time you use it and clean it off.
"Maybe the truly handicapped people are the ones that don't need God as much." ~ Joni Eareckson Tada

Graps

#18 Post by Graps »

This is the scales that the chef knife is going to be made from.
20180922_092719~01.jpg
20180922_092719~01.jpg (66.28 KiB) Viewed 121 times

stumper

#19 Post by stumper »

wow, a little scandi blade would be awesome with those scales!!
Nothing clears a troubled mind like shooting a bow.

Grizzly

#20 Post by Grizzly »

northern knife 2.jpg
northern knife 2.jpg (30.93 KiB) Viewed 108 times
Here is a nice design with a flat grind, especially up forward where it does alot of work

Return to “Knives and Hawks”