made a hobo camp knife!

How to's, questions, and build alongs for those traditional archers who also enjoy the fine craft of making Custom Knives and Hawks.
Forum rules
Topics include Knife and Hawk questions, advice and build alongs.
Longtrad

made a hobo camp knife!

#1 Post by Longtrad »

Well guys I've been laid up sick the last two days and started to get really bored, I got to looking through some old knives my grandad had and I found a really long curved blade meat cutting knife that had a big chip about half way through the blade. I took the angle grinder to it and cut it off clean then went to making a little camp knife with the tip end of the old butcher knife.

After playing around with the grinder and epoxy I came up with this.

I left the edge alone because I only know enough about tempering steel to mess it up and didnt want to get the cutting edge too hot with a grinder. I did drop the point down a bit though.

I tried to drill it to put in brass pins but couldnt drill through the steel and didnt feel like getting bundled up to use the drill press. The epoxy seems like it will hold strong though.

It's nothing fancy but I think I learned how to make my next come out a little better. I'm thinking about giving this one a home strapped to my back quiver.

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

Re: made a hobo camp knife!

#2 Post by Carpdaddy »

Good job Clay. I use to build a few, ended up giving them all away except one. Then I gutted a deer with it, stuck it in my coat pocket, and never made it out of the thicket that the deer ran into with the knife! Guess it's still laying among the saw briars somewhere.

Shadowhntr

#3 Post by Shadowhntr »

Nice job Clay!

Tony, how's that saying go?....one in the hand is better then something something in the bush? ...... :lol:
The element of surprise can never be replaced by persistence.

Longtrad

#4 Post by Longtrad »

I think something like "leaving a surprise in the bush is better than keeping it in hand"... at least thats what i was told

At the rate I loose knives it's about time I started glueing my own together lol

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#5 Post by Captainkirk »

You could always put a lanyard on the knife. Works with kids and mittens, oughta work for you. 8-)
Aim small, miss small!

Longtrad

#6 Post by Longtrad »

get tangled up in my mitten lanyards too often

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#7 Post by Captainkirk »

Longtrad wrote:get tangled up in my mitten lanyards too often
No worries. You could always use the knife to cut the lanyard... :lol:
Aim small, miss small!