Ben Pearson 7388 "Gamester"

History of Archery and collecting antique and collectible Traditional Archery supplies.
Forum rules
This forum is for discussing the history of archery. The collecting of antique and collectible traditional archery items. Not for selling items or trading. Not for selling items you manufactured unless you are a sponsor.
Cookies

Ben Pearson 7388 "Gamester"

#1 Post by Cookies »

Hi all! I'm in need of some advice here.
While perusing my local classifieds ads I came across the bow mentioned in the title; the seller is asking $80.
Now, when I say "local", I mean "Ontario". The bow is located in North Bay, about 5 hours from me. I may offer him $50, and ask a friend who lives up there to collect it and bring it down when they come this weekend for my daughter's birthday.

I need to know: is it worth it? I know nothing of the Pearson bows and can't seem to find much info on them, especially the Gamester. I know they're not as collectable as Bears, which might be part of the dearth of information ; but if anyone can help me decide whether I should go for it or not, I'd be most appreciative! :)

Graps

Re: Ben Pearson 7388 "Gamester"

#2 Post by Graps »

At the price , it would be worth it . As long as it's not broken .
"Maybe the truly handicapped people are the ones that don't need God as much." ~ Joni Eareckson Tada

Cookies

#3 Post by Cookies »

The one pic provided shows it strung; I at least know it's not broken.
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-buy-sell-other/n ... 1151481109

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#4 Post by Carpdaddy »

Good price for any decent recurve. Being strung doesn't mean it's straight, make sure your friend eyeballs it good. At 70lbs I couldn't string it let alone shoot it!!

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#5 Post by Captainkirk »

Having bought several used bows, I suggest the following:
*Ask the seller to provide you a detailed description of the bow, including all noted flaws. Ask him to send you photos of any anomalies.
*Specifically ask if there are any signs of cracking, delamination, limb twist, nicks or chips and request photos.
*Do this via email so you have a written response

Of course, this does not guarantee a fault-free bow, and it doesn't guarantee you money back if there are issues, but if you end up in court (over $80.00?....I don't think so!) you have a record of what the seller told you, in writing.
When buying any used bow you "pays yer money and ya takes yer chance" but best to stack the deck in your favor.
BTW, if the seller hedges or refuses to provide any further info or pix, walk away smiling. There are literally hundreds of new listings on eBay alone every single day so don't sweat it if the deal doesn't go down.

I personally know little about the Gamester other than it appears to be in roughly the same category as a Bear Grizzly. Google search showed up a number of links to different forums and discussions, so I recommend you read up on it.
The following is a link to Ben Pearson bow specs, for a little more insight:

http://pearsonbow.stormloader.com/pearson.html

Good luck and keep us posted!
Aim small, miss small!

Cookies

#6 Post by Cookies »

Thanks gents! I have emailed the seller and am awaiting a response.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#7 Post by Captainkirk »

Cookies wrote: I know they're not as collectable as Bears, which might be part of the dearth of information ; but if anyone can help me decide whether I should go for it or not, I'd be most appreciative! :)
In it's heyday, Ben Pearson Archery produced more bows than Bear. The major difference was that Fred Bear was a better marketer and made Bear Archery synonymous with "quality" while in actuality, the BP bows were probably as good or better in some cases.
The typical BP bow typically runs 20-30% cheaper than it's Bear counterpart mainly due to brand recognition and familiarity.
70# is a hell of a draw weight, though. At that weight I wouldn't even consider it myself.
Aim small, miss small!

Cookies

#8 Post by Cookies »

Captainkirk wrote: 70# is a hell of a draw weight, though. At that weight I wouldn't even consider it myself.
I know it's a big one, but I'm still young and dumb (35 last week) and am a pretty strong guy. Eventually I'd like to get into the Ontario Moose draw, for which I'd need at least 60 lbs (if I remember correctly).

Even if it ends up being too heavy, it'll make a pretty wall hanging, or a good trade-in for something at my local shop, of a more useable weight.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#9 Post by Captainkirk »

Cookies wrote: I know it's a big one, but I'm still young and dumb (35 last week) and am a pretty strong guy. Eventually I'd like to get into the Ontario Moose draw, for which I'd need at least 60 lbs (if I remember correctly).
Well, a belated Happy Birthday to you!
How did we miss that one? :?

Cookies wrote: Even if it ends up being too heavy, it'll make a pretty wall hanging, or a good trade-in for something at my local shop, of a more useable weight.
This is true. I suspect I could have drawn a heavier bow a couple decades ago when I regularly shot a 70# wheelie bow...now I find 45# just right, and 35# perfect for extended practice. I still have my 55# Sage and would hunt with it, no problem. But an hour of backyard practice with it tears me up pretty good. In fact, when it was all I had, I injured myself to the point I had to lay off shooting completely for a month or two just to heal (sore shoulder and tendonitis in the elbow)
Enjoy it while you're young. It doesn't hang around forever.
Aim small, miss small!

Cookies

#10 Post by Cookies »

Captainkirk wrote:
Well, a belated Happy Birthday to you!
How did we miss that one? :?
I'm a pretty low key guy...

Thanks!

Return to “Collecting & History”