Shakespeare Bows

History of Archery and collecting antique and collectible Traditional Archery supplies.
Forum rules
This forum is for discussing the history of archery. The collecting of antique and collectible traditional archery items. Not for selling items or trading. Not for selling items you manufactured unless you are a sponsor.
Kamn

Shakespeare Bows

#1 Post by Kamn »

Show us what you have
I will start with my Shakespeare Necedah Model X-28 58"amo 55# (I'm guessing at 28" because its not on the bow)

From what I know, this is a 1974 model that will get a good clean up and new finish

Captainkirk
Site Admin

Re: Shakespeare Bows

#2 Post by Captainkirk »

Nice old Greenie!
I think you are correct about DW...the model # is "X-28" which probably indicates 28" DL (the standard)
Aim small, miss small!

Kamn

#3 Post by Kamn »

The X-28 is the model but I just found info that they didn't put the draw length on the bow itself like others (45# @ 28")
but the draw weight was listed at a 28" draw length

Either way, its going to get a sanding to remove some marks here and there, a new decal if i mess up, a nice coat of clear, and a new rest and appropriate plate (arrow shaped)

Roadking

#4 Post by Roadking »

Cool stuff guys. Crud now this is making me want to go out and find some unique old bows to shoot. This addiction just seems to grow :mrgreen: looks like I'm spending more $$$$$ :shock:

Shadowhntr

#5 Post by Shadowhntr »

The good thing is, you can pick up old Shakespeare bows (or Pearsons) for little of nothing. I paid $40 for mine. I'll try and get pics of it here soon.
The element of surprise can never be replaced by persistence.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#6 Post by Captainkirk »

Roadking wrote:Cool stuff guys. Crud now this is making me want to go out and find some unique old bows to shoot. This addiction just seems to grow :mrgreen: looks like I'm spending more $$$$$ :shock:
Bill, eBay is loaded with good deals on old bows...if you know what to look for, and more importantly, what to avoid. If you decide to go that route let me know and if you have any questions I'd be happy to help.
Aim small, miss small!

Kamn

#7 Post by Kamn »

^^^ Yup......ebay has lots of them, rough ones for repair and refinish and nice ones as well that just have the usual wear and tear from being used.
Sometimes you get lucky and find a diamond in the rough for very little monies

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#8 Post by Captainkirk »

Kamn wrote:^^^ Yup......ebay has lots of them, rough ones for repair and refinish and nice ones as well that just have the usual wear and tear from being used.
Sometimes you get lucky and find a diamond in the rough for very little monies
Agreed. Many times you will find a sweet deal for just a little more than a ratty old bow...that will cost more to refinish than the price difference.
Aim small, miss small!

Roadking

#9 Post by Roadking »

Kirk & Kamm thanks for the tips. Just back from the Kalamazoo show and there were 100's of used bows. I didn't see any name brands in the price point I was looking. Anything under a $100 I didn't recognize or it wasn't marked. I have time, being new I'll keep an eye on eBay and CL and if I have questions I'll be sure to pick your brains. Thanks!

Kamn

#10 Post by Kamn »

No problem.....happy to help if I can

Return to “Collecting & History”