Found some goodies

History of Archery and collecting antique and collectible Traditional Archery supplies.
Forum rules
This forum is for discussing the history of archery. The collecting of antique and collectible traditional archery items. Not for selling items or trading. Not for selling items you manufactured unless you are a sponsor.
Crazynate

Re: Found some goodies

#11 Post by Crazynate »

The bleeder on the left is the experimental bleeder blade Fred made for his zwickeys. They didn't perform and never went into production. Lots of guys don't know but Fred supplied steal to Cliff Zwickey during and after the war to make him his heads. The Delta was designed after the style Cliff made for Fred. They're were a few different experimental blades he tried.this one is the most common seen and so I'm guessing he made the most of these. He even at one point in 1955 took a fallow deer in Kentucky with a Zwickey and razor blades made by Schick as a bleeder. Either way he obviously settled on the ones most common like you have. I have 2 dozen original pin hole bleeders that were made early in 56 ( first year production for his razorheads) that are made out of silver. They are pretty cool. sorry if that was to much info lol I tend to ramble when talking about this stuff. I love it. Fred was a genius if I have to imagine Cliff wasn't to thrilled when the razorhead came out. Even though it was a less superior to cliffs Fred had the marketing down. If it wasn't for the judo point Zwickey wouldn't of made it. Kind of all tied together.
Goodnight Chesty Wherever You Are.

Shadowhntr

#12 Post by Shadowhntr »

Wow....not too much info at all! That's good stuff! You know I've learned so much from you already. I had no idea Bear and Zwickey ever collaborated....and I guess now I know why a Zwickey head named Cliff exist. That is SO cool you have those prototype bleeders. Please do add more pics of the pin hole type you refered too. I find this all very intriguing. Dont hold back Nate, we will enjoy seeing and learning what you have and know. Go at a speed a slow boy like me can keep up though! Lol!
The element of surprise can never be replaced by persistence.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#13 Post by Captainkirk »

Nate, some of us are as interested as you are in the history of trad, especially Bear stuff. Carry on by all means!
Aim small, miss small!

Crazynate

#14 Post by Crazynate »

Thanks guys I'm glad I can share info with y'all. But yeah when Fred introduced razorheads for production in 56 Cliff Zwickey immediately dismissed them saying they were to thin up front and they will bend which was true to a point) razorheads are my favorite and great but they aren't as tuff as a Zwickey. Anyway if didn't take long before Cliffs sales dropped. Him and his son Jack worked for a few years developing the Judu point. Once they had that right and sales started up again they would actually send out a dozen broadheads with each order of Judus just to get them out there again and they had so much inventory. So the razorhead almost ruined Zwickey. I am so glad it didn't because I love all they're heads. If you ever see a slotted Zwickey out there though scoop it up. This picture is hard to see sorry the lighting is bad in my basement. The card is 1 dz mint silver pin holes and in the middle are 2 from other sets. Both pinhole but the one on the left is black the one on the right is silver. I asked Wade Phillips about this and he just said the first part of production they used silver than it became to expensive. It's one of the many unknowns of Bear Archery. I have seen silver pin holes on eBay once in awhile but I have never seen a full set unopened like this one. I actually found this set stuffed in an old archery magazine from the late 50s that came with a whole pile of archery gear I bought from a gentleman. The second set I have came with a box of 56 bubbleheads. Just neat in there own way. If you guys would like to see pictures of Bear collection I'll post some tomorrow when the lighting is better. It's nice to show guys who care about this stuff. Image
Goodnight Chesty Wherever You Are.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#15 Post by Captainkirk »

Fascinating! I've got some Razorhead bleeders that were given to me; I'll have to see which ones!
Aim small, miss small!

Shadowhntr

#16 Post by Shadowhntr »

I see why you said pin hole! Yeah....mune arent...lol! I'll keep my eyes peeled for some of this stuff.
The element of surprise can never be replaced by persistence.

Return to “Collecting & History”