History Lesson: The Bear Tamerlane

History of Archery and collecting antique and collectible Traditional Archery supplies.
Forum rules
This forum is for discussing the history of archery. The collecting of antique and collectible traditional archery items. Not for selling items or trading. Not for selling items you manufactured unless you are a sponsor.
Captainkirk
Site Admin

Re: History Lesson: The Bear Tamerlane

#16 Post by Captainkirk »

1969 Tamerlane

(to be updated as information becomes available)
Aim small, miss small!

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#17 Post by Captainkirk »

1970 Tamerlane

(to be updated as information becomes available)
Aim small, miss small!

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#18 Post by Captainkirk »

PART III-The High Compression HC-30

The HC (high compression) series bows were introduced in 1965 with the exorbitant price of $175.00...no paltry sum back in those days. They featured a new riser made of a high-compression phenolic (Formica) to increase mass weight, reduce hand shock, and to offer a sight window that was cut 1/8" beyond center.

1965 HC-30
The 1965 HC-30 Tamerlane featured a Formica riser. It was available in 66 and 69" AMO lengths with draw weight range 25-50# @ 28". The Bear brush rest and nylon arrow plate came as standard equipment with optional Premier bow sight. Limbs were a cream white, the overlays were black/white with black tips. Serial number ranges began with 5C or 5D.

1965 HC-30 "Black Beauty"; credit-Google Images

1966 HC-30

The 1966 HC-30 was much the same as the '65, with the addition of a 63" AMO bow that year, and the option to choose from the standard or pistol grip handle. Serial number runs began with a 6A prefix for 69" bows, and 6B for the 66" versions. Limbs were cream white with black/white/black tips.

1966 Bear HC-30 Tamerlane; credit-Google Images

1967 HC-30

The 1967 HC-30 touted some improvements like Action Core limbs, and the new Quick Connect inertial stabilizer. The Bear Premier sight is now standard equipment though it can be ordered with the plate and brush rest or with neither. Available AMO lengths for this year's models were
66, 69, and 72 inches. Serial prefixes for these models were 7B (66"), 7E (69"), and 7D (72"). Limbs were cream white with black/white/black tips.

1967 HC-30 with case, sling, and Premier bow sight; credit-Google Images

Aim small, miss small!

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#19 Post by Captainkirk »

PART IV- The High Compression HC-300

Much as the HC-30 with it's all Formica (phenolic) riser was drop-dead gorgeous (IMHO), the HC-300 took it a step further, melding the Formica handle with gorgeous rosewood caps beginning in 1968, replacing and superseding the short-lived HC-30 (1965-1967). Dropping the all-phenolic riser meant shedding pounds as well, the HC-300 weighed in substantially less than it's predecessor, and Bear claimed it to be faster, smoother, and more stable as well. This was to be the King of target bows in it's time, and lived up to the reputation.

1968 HC-300

The '68 HC-300 was available in AMO 66,69 or 72" lengths and like it's forebears (pun intended) was available in draw weights from 25-50# at 28". The Bear Premier sight was now standard equipment along with the brush rest and adjustable arrow plate and also included a quick connect for the optional Bear stabilizers. The limbs were still cream white and the riser had the standing bear brass medallion flush mounted. Limb tips were black/white with black tips. The riser was Formica with rosewood caps. Serial number prefixes were as follows; 8C (66") 8A (72") 8D (72") and 8B (69"). The upper belly limb now bore the distinctive "Tamerlane HC-300" silkscreen.

Tamerlane silkscreen; Captainkirk photo

1969 HC-300

Here's one I know a little about... :D
The 1969 HC-300 featured Fascor treated limb cores with cream white limbs, phenolic riser with rosewood caps, standard equipment Bear Premier bow sight complete with Bear brush rest and adjustable nylon arrow plate, or it could be ordered with just the sight window plate, arrow plate and brush rest as an option. Available draw weights were still between 25 and 50# at 28" and available AMO lengths were 63, 66, 69, or 72 inches. The bushing was installed on the frnt of the riser for the Bear Omni-coupler stabilizer (optional). The brass standing bear coin was still flush mounted on the riser, and tip overlays were black/white with black tips. Serial number prefixes were 9L (63") 9B (69") and 9C (66"). There is no designation listed for the 72" bow in my reference source but one would assume it would be 9(X) with the X being different from the other three letter designations this year (L, B, C). (My HC-300 bears the designation 9B and is a 69" AMO bow.) The 1969 HC-300 was considered the pinnacle of tournament bow achievement at the time.

HC-300 showing the optional window sight plate, brush rest and nylon arrow plate-Captainkirk photos

Close-up of the sight window plate. While the phenolic appears green due to the flash, it is black in color

Close-up of the serial number, prefix "9B" denoting year of manufacture (1969) and AMO length (B=69")

Aim small, miss small!

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#20 Post by Captainkirk »

1970 HC-300

The 1970 HC-300 featured a riser of brown and black Futurewood, available in AMO lengths of 63, 66 and 70 inches. The overlay was black with cream white limbs and the brass standing bear coin. Serial number prefix on the 70" version began with KA-. Draw weights were standard in 25-50#. New for this year was a magnetic retractable arrow rest and an optional Bear-Jeffrey Omnni bowsight.

1971 HC-300

The 1971 Tamerlane came available in only 2 AMO lengths; 66 and 70". It featured a Futurewood riser, cream white limbs, overlays were black/white with black tips. This year featured the nickel silver standing bear medallion flush-mounted, and draw weights were the same 25-50# standard. Serial number prefixed were (again) KA- for the 70" version and KC-for the 66" version.
Aim small, miss small!

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#21 Post by Captainkirk »

Part V- The Tamerlane Victor HC-300

1972 HC-300 "Victor"

1972 was the end of the line for the Tamerlane HC-300 run of bows. This final version was dubbed the Victor and had a riser crafted of Futurewood and shedua, with the same cream white limbs and black tips. This model was the only one with a proud medallion rather than flush mounted coin, either in brass or nickel silver and was only available in one AMO length; 66". Unlike all previous Tamerlanes, the standard draw weights were 25-35#. The silk screen labels now appeared on the belly side of the limbs.
Aim small, miss small!

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#22 Post by Captainkirk »

I hope you enjoyed this little mini-series. I'm hoping to more of them on some of the more mainstream Bear hunting bows. Thanks for tuning in.
Aim small, miss small!

Crazynate

#23 Post by Crazynate »

This was all great information. Thanks for putting it all together
Goodnight Chesty Wherever You Are.

Shadowhntr

#24 Post by Shadowhntr »

Very informative. Now I half way know what I'm looking at. Not that I can remember it all...vut I can at least refer back to this thread when need be. Thanks Kirk.
The element of surprise can never be replaced by persistence.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#25 Post by Captainkirk »

Shadowhntr wrote:Very informative. Now I half way know what I'm looking at. Not that I can remember it all...vut I can at least refer back to this thread when need be. Thanks Kirk.
That was the general idea. I can't remember half of it myownself...
Aim small, miss small!

Return to “Collecting & History”