Made this quiver for a flintlock turkey gun

How to's, questions and build alongs for those who make or want to make their own gear made from leather. Get some tips on how you can make your own quiver, arm guard, etc. to go along with your Custom Traditional Bow.
Forum rules
No selling of leather goods unless you are a sponsor.
dhaverstick

Made this quiver for a flintlock turkey gun

#1 Post by dhaverstick »

I just finished this Lakota style quiver for my good friend, John Pruitt, in Spring City, Tennessee. He's been hinting around at wanting one for a while now and I finally had the time to make one for him. Besides that, John just finished up my new flintlock turkey gun with the Colerain jug choked barrel and he thought the quiver and 4 dozen homemade cookies were suitable payment for his time and services. Both items should pass each other in the mail this week.

The body of this quiver is made from elk leather and the yellow trim is deer. The arrowheads are made from cane toad skin and the brown band of leather at the mouth is tanned carp hide. I burned the petroglyphs onto pieces of deer hide and then sewed them on. That idea was inspired by the shirts Mike Yancey is now selling at his Pine Hollow Longbows website. The strap is made from New Zealand red deer hide and I carved the buttons from deer antler. Everything was sewn by hand using artificial sinew.

I should get my new shootin' iron Friday and I plan to have it broken in on a squirrel or turkey some time Saturday.

Darren

Captainkirk
Site Admin

Re: Made this quiver for a flintlock turkey gun

#2 Post by Captainkirk »

Beautiful craftsmanship as always, Darren! Good luck with the new rock lock!
Aim small, miss small!

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#3 Post by Carpdaddy »

Nice! Tanned Carp & Toad hide; Wow!

Shadowhntr

#4 Post by Shadowhntr »

Very pretty!
The element of surprise can never be replaced by persistence.

Mitch Edwards

#5 Post by Mitch Edwards »

That's awsome! Never knew you could tan a toad lol or carp for that matter.

dhaverstick

#6 Post by dhaverstick »

For those of you that are interested, here are a couple of photos of turkey gun I made the quiver and cookies for. I received it Friday, extracted it from the 6 miles of bubble wrap and tape it was encased in, and immediately ran to the woods to try it out. Two shots later I had two dead squirrels. That turkey choke did a number on the first one so I held off on the second one so it didn't take the full load of pellets. It's fall turkey season here in Missouri and I hope to kill one of them birds in the near future.

I sent John the barrel and the large Siler lock kit and he did the rest. He made most of the furniture and carved the stock out of a piece of walnut he had laying around. His signature as of late is putting the Osage orange trim on the gun. It really makes it look sharp! The entire project took him less than a month to complete.

Here is a link to a short video that shows more detail about the gun: https://youtu.be/EeYPYVinDjE

Mr. Pruitt is an accomplished bowyer and gunsmith and can make you a one-of-a-kind item with a minimal investment of money and time. He didn't have any business cards so I designed one up for him and had them printed. I think they suit him to a tee.

Darren

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#7 Post by Captainkirk »

Well, now...that saying about "two in the hand" applies to squirrels as well! Nice job and gorgeous smokepole!
Aim small, miss small!

Shadowhntr

#8 Post by Shadowhntr »

That is awesome Darren! I LOVE that gun! Ive never been around a front stuffer scatter gun. Ive always shot rifles, pistols, and ol revolvers. Makes me wonder why I never did the shotguns....????? Im jealous!

dhaverstick

#9 Post by dhaverstick »

Shadowhntr wrote:That is awesome Darren! I LOVE that gun! Ive never been around a front stuffer scatter gun. Ive always shot rifles, pistols, and ol revolvers. Makes me wonder why I never did the shotguns....????? Im jealous!
John can make one for you in short order. He'll even help you pick out the pieces if you need him to. Consider it an early Christmas present to yourself!

I can't say enough good things about that Colerain turkey barrel. I'd put the pattern it throws up against any modern turkey gun at 25 yards.

Darren

Shadowhntr

#10 Post by Shadowhntr »

25 yards is all a feller needs. The more I think about it, the more appealing its sounding!

Return to “Leather Crafting”