How to get started?

How to's, questions and build alongs for those who make or want to make their own gear made from leather. Get some tips on how you can make your own quiver, arm guard, etc. to go along with your Custom Traditional Bow.
Forum rules
No selling of leather goods unless you are a sponsor.
47909Hunter

How to get started?

#1 Post by 47909Hunter »

So, I'd love to be able to make my own leather stuff - mostly quivers in this case. (I've never arm-slapped, so I don't need an armguard... though I see a lot of them with knife sheaths in them, and that's cool).

I've never worked with leather, and I have no leatherworking specific tools. What would be the minimum I'd need to get started, and what style of quiver is reasonable for a total complete n00b to expect to be able to tackle? :D
Traditional #1: Flatline Hypertension, 66", 48@28, Ash and Yew (#12017)
Traditional #2: Flatline Hypertension, 66", 42@28, Bocote and Wenge (#112017)
Compound: 2016 Defiant 30, Black Gold Ascent, 10" Bee Stinger Pro Hunter Maxxxxxxxx, QAD Ultra, Etc

Captainkirk
Site Admin

Re: How to get started?

#2 Post by Captainkirk »

47909Hunter wrote:So, I'd love to be able to make my own leather stuff - mostly quivers in this case. (I've never arm-slapped, so I don't need an armguard... though I see a lot of them with knife sheaths in them, and that's cool).

I've never worked with leather, and I have no leatherworking specific tools. What would be the minimum I'd need to get started, and what style of quiver is reasonable for a total complete n00b to expect to be able to tackle? :D
Jon, you might want to PM Darren Haverstick (dhaverstick) or Ron Kulas (Stay Sharp) on this forum as those guys (among others) do some fantastic work but don't check in all that often.
Aim small, miss small!

47909Hunter

#3 Post by 47909Hunter »

Captainkirk wrote:
47909Hunter wrote:So, I'd love to be able to make my own leather stuff - mostly quivers in this case. (I've never arm-slapped, so I don't need an armguard... though I see a lot of them with knife sheaths in them, and that's cool).

Jon, you might want to PM Darren Haverstick (dhaverstick) or Ron Kulas (Stay Sharp) on this forum as those guys (among others) do some fantastic work but don't check in all that often.
They do - but they do it as a business so I'm not sure asking them how to not buy from them is "cool," you know? :D
Compound: 2016 Defiant 30, Black Gold Ascent, 10" Bee Stinger Pro Hunter Maxxxxxxxx, QAD Ultra, Etc

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#4 Post by Carpdaddy »

I know nothing about leatherwork but jumping in feet first is how I learn things, trial and many errors! Don't think I ever ask that google feller anything without him knowing something about the subject, you may find some videos on the tube also. Good luck with the venture though, maybe someone else here will jump in with better advice.

47909Hunter

#5 Post by 47909Hunter »

Carpdaddy wrote:I know nothing about leatherwork but jumping in feet first is how I learn things, trial and many errors! Don't think I ever ask that google feller anything without him knowing something about the subject, you may find some videos on the tube also. Good luck with the venture though, maybe someone else here will jump in with better advice.
That's what I'm gonna do. I found a cool (IMO!) quiver pattern here - http://www.yeoldegaffers.com/project_quiver.asp - it looks pretty durn easy to make, so... I'm just going to make one and see how it comes out, LOL.

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#6 Post by Carpdaddy »

There you go, looks good, jump in right in and you will improve with time.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#7 Post by Captainkirk »

No time like the present...
Aim small, miss small!

47909Hunter

#8 Post by 47909Hunter »

Just made an order from Springfield Leather for most of the stuff needed!

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#9 Post by Carpdaddy »

Careful; if that stuff is as addictive as bow building your in for a long ride.

White Falcon

#10 Post by White Falcon »

U tube will be your friend!

Return to “Leather Crafting”