Hippo Hide Turkey Call Holster

How to's, questions and build alongs for those who make or want to make their own gear made from leather. Get some tips on how you can make your own quiver, arm guard, etc. to go along with your Custom Traditional Bow.
Forum rules
No selling of leather goods unless you are a sponsor.
dhaverstick

Hippo Hide Turkey Call Holster

#1 Post by dhaverstick »

The Conservation Federation of Missouri's annual convention is in a couple of weeks and they have a silent auction that the United Bowhunters of Missouri always donates an item to. This year, I wanted to get a turkey call from a local call maker, craft a leather holster for it and donate the pair to the auction. So I contacted Scott Ashburn (https://www.facebook.com/Scotts-Custom- ... 319817384/) to get a call from him and when he heard what I had planned he donated the call to the cause. The holster I made for it has a vegetable-tanned cowhide frame covered in hippopotamus hide. The trim is deer and it's all sewed up by hand using artificial sinew. It was the first time I'd worked with hippo hide and that stuff is cool! It has a suede like finish and is as tough as iron.

BTW - that call sounds so sweet that I called Scott and ordered one for myself. I should get it in a week or so.

Darren

Shadowhntr

Re: Hippo Hide Turkey Call Holster

#2 Post by Shadowhntr »

Purdy!
The element of surprise can never be replaced by persistence.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#3 Post by Captainkirk »

Gotta love the exotic!
Aim small, miss small!

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#4 Post by Carpdaddy »

Man alive Darren; you always hit a home run on your leatherwork! Nice!

Cookies

#5 Post by Cookies »

I don't usually comment on the Leatherwood stuff (just stare in awe aname admiration), but wow! Nice job darren! Someone is going to be a lucky turkey smiter this season!
Where'd you get the hippo? That's some cool stuff. Is it hard to work with? Hippos seem pretty tough

dhaverstick

#6 Post by dhaverstick »

Cookies wrote:I don't usually comment on the Leatherwood stuff (just stare in awe aname admiration), but wow! Nice job darren! Someone is going to be a lucky turkey smiter this season!
Where'd you get the hippo? That's some cool stuff. Is it hard to work with? Hippos seem pretty tough
I got that hippo hide at the Springfield Leather Company in Springfield, MO. They're always getting in some new exotic leather. Hippo is easy to work with and it is tough stuff.

SLC has a new exotic in that comes from some big South American fish. I'd really like to try some of that stuff but, unfortunately, it costs $450 a hide. Hippo is bad enough at $25 a square foot!

Darren

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#7 Post by Carpdaddy »

I guess if I'd skinned the Hippo and tanned its hide it would have cost even more!
I'm still liking the Ostrich skin from the last one though.

Return to “Leather Crafting”