moccasin quiver...

How to's, questions and build alongs for those who make or want to make their own gear made from leather. Get some tips on how you can make your own quiver, arm guard, etc. to go along with your Custom Traditional Bow.
Forum rules
No selling of leather goods unless you are a sponsor.
wandering monk

moccasin quiver...

#1 Post by wandering monk »

first off...I am not a super fan of bow quivers...and IMHO back quivers are awesome for 3-d shoots...but not my my favorite for still hunting or even taking stand...

I have been studying many various models and approachs done by others...I have a nice tanned Buffalo robe that I have been using for various projects...I was making up a pair of moc's and thought of trying something similar for what I wanted fpr my hunting quiver...

I wanted to ue my old Fred Bear quiver for BASE...To hold my arrows secure...and just slide in to place...

I took the hide and made my cuts and stiched it up w/ sinew...being a tanned robe it was still a bit soft, and had a lighter color...I wanted the shape to be stiffer, and even a bit more brown colored...I liked the shorter fur from the underbelly for this...not too long, but really making for a quiet unit...buff leather is famous for being able to get wet...and then dry out fine too...

from experience using lime to remove fur from tanned hides, I also found out through experience that "dehydrated" lime did remove the tannic acids used to soften the leather, but left the fur on...it also left a nice brown color...this is lime found at any organic garden center...soaked over night then rinsed...

I made the strap a bit longer than neccesary to accomadate a heavier pullover etc for colder weather...the holesare punched so I can adjust the lngth appropriately...

it fits right on my hip allowing for easy access to arrows when needed...here are a few pics...

#1 Image

#2 Image

#3 Image

#4 Image

#5 Image

I am pretty happy...its something I wanted to do for a while...and since my favorite style of hunting is stalking and calling in heavy timber...it fills the bill perfect...it allows me so much more room to move my bow around un encumbered...it is a perfect match for my shedua riser t/d I made up a while ago...the old FB out of the deal and it is also a great way tocarry arrows on shoot...a piece of foam could be easily installed to hold heads instead of the old FB...
ted ...wandering monk/trout bum
public land pope & young
public water 20"er

www.wmflyrodco.com

bronco2

Re: moccasin quiver...

#2 Post by bronco2 »

i like it also.. great job.

Return to “Leather Crafting”