Got it done!

Tell us your Traditional Bow Hunting experiences
Forum rules
Discuss all aspects of the hunt.
cap4382

Got it done!

#1 Post by cap4382 »

Harvested my first deer ever this morning! Talk about a roller coaster season for me. Pics and story after i get her cleaned up.
Btw, it's cold here. Truck says 27° and it's only going to drop as the day goes on.

Shadowhntr

Re: Got it done!

#2 Post by Shadowhntr »

SUPER AWESOME! !!!!! Congratulations! !!!
The element of surprise can never be replaced by persistence.

Jamesh76

#3 Post by Jamesh76 »

Great Job Chris!

Ole Dave

#4 Post by Ole Dave »

I think First Deer is more memorable then FIRST LOVE! :roll: :lol: 8-)

Congrats... your hooked now...
All we have and call our own, once belonged to someone else, and will again. Our purpose here is not to serve ourselves.

Bigfoot SAS LB (47# LB limbs 38# Semi Static RC limbs)

Couple of old Bear bows

Longtrad

#5 Post by Longtrad »

Awesome! what is your bow and arrow set up? cant wait for the story.

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#6 Post by Carpdaddy »

Great; looking forward to story and pictures.

cap4382

#7 Post by cap4382 »

Soooo, this morning was kinda screwy. Got up early to head towards some public ground i had in mind about an hour away from me. No sooner than i had opened the garage door and taken 1 step out, bam. Flat on my butt. It was a touch slick out.
After driving about 30 min and going about 10 miles i re-thought my day. Waaay too far with the weather turning bad so i headed to my uncle's place. Hadn't been having any real luck there all year so far, but it was my only option to be able to get into stand a good hour before shooting light.
Got to my uncles, snuck towards my hang on and busted my butt again on the first rung of my climbing sticks. My brother decided he was gonna try for a deer last week and had setup his pop-up blind and a feeder. Hadn't been there since he did so, and thank God he did. That blind was a God-send in the icy weather.
After sitting a few hours and thoroughly frozen to the core, i packed up and had just unzipped the door when i heard crunches. Looked up and had a small doe standing about 40 yds away. I sat down and waited for a buck or another doe to pass by. About 30 min went by and the same doe circled back around and stood there browsing some grass. Grabbed my Bear takedown, nocked an arrow and shot. Hit looked ok from where i sat so i went into my uncle's to warn up while i let her expire.
Went back to the blind, paced off my shot, i counted 32 good paces to where i shot her, rangefinder later confirmed the shot at 31yds. I could have swore it was 20 or less at the time of the shot, but that minute was kinda blurry. First deer for me, so i was kinda rattled.
Found a little blood and hair at the spot i shot her and i knew the general direction she went. Started after her, found some blood intermitently, about every 10yds I'd guess, and saw her laying about another 30-40 yds from where i shot her. To my dismay, she was still alive. I had shot waaay to far back, gut shot, big time. But thankfully my arrow had broke her opposite back leg so she didn't go far. I promptly nocked an arrow and put it into her vitals to end her suffering. She passed quickly thereafter.

Setup was a 52lb @28" Bear takedown(A riser with #3 limbs, 60" bow) shooting Easton axis 340s tipped with 160 grain magnus classic on a 100 grain steel adapter. Have no idea what they weigh, i roughly calculate about 590 grains total, give or take a few grains.

cap4382

#8 Post by cap4382 »

Shot view

She was a mess to clean up. Hopefully never do that again. Oh well, first deer ever and with a stick bow. Gonna eat good this week for sure.

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#9 Post by Carpdaddy »

Way to go Chris, a big congratulations!

Jose

#10 Post by Jose »

Great job on the first deer and way to stick with it in less than desirable weather conditions!!

Return to “Bow Hunting experiences”