Pheasant hunting? What tips?

Tell us your Traditional Bow Hunting experiences
Forum rules
Discuss all aspects of the hunt.
Longtrad

Pheasant hunting? What tips?

#1 Post by Longtrad »

Hey guys, my buddy just invited me to go pheasant hunting on some land he says has good bird numbers. I have never been pheasant hunting with a scattergun not to mention a bow. I am thinking I will take my junk yard arrows that I broke and cut down. They are all a little still to a lot stiff but some spiral wrap flu flu fletch should fix that problem right?

What about points? seems I will be likely to loose a few arrows so I'd rather not put good broadheads on them. will blunts or a field point with the shock collar kill pheasants assuming I get a lucky hit?

Got any other tricks for getting this birds with a stick and string?

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

Re: Pheasant hunting? What tips?

#2 Post by Carpdaddy »

Sounds like a lot of fun trying whether you connect or not! I recommend finding a way to mount a wide fish net on the front of your arrows, preferably with at least a five foot span. :lol: :lol: Never actually tried pheasant hunting since I don't know of any round these parts but I do have a little experience with Grouse. :oops: My experience is that when they fly up I jump up and by the time I come down and catch my breath/heart the grouse is long gone. Never got a shot off but felt like I had been shot a few times. Hope your not as jumpy as I am! :lol: :lol: :oops:

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#3 Post by Captainkirk »

Flu flu's and judo points. Be prepared to lose a few...

http://www.3riversarchery.com/judo-smal ... point.html
Aim small, miss small!

Longtrad

#4 Post by Longtrad »

im thinking about field points or bullet casing points with holes drilled through them and some weed wacker line glued in through the holes. Should be like cheap throw away judos.

I don't really plan on hitting any birds but I do plan on loosing some arrows, who knows I may get lucky, I may get spooked and shoot myself in the foot lol!

I dont think I would have any better luck with a shotgun though so im going bow hunting.

Shadowhntr

#5 Post by Shadowhntr »

Have you ever shot any arials at all? Ive never shot birds, but I have done some arial shooting with success.

Like a shotgun, you got to think lead. Let your knowledge of the arrows trajectory, adjust your mind to how far in front your bow hand needs to be. Dont think too much, but realize lead is a must. Continue to focus as small as possible on the bird, even if your mind pushes the bowhand in front of where you are looking. DONT PASS ON DEAD AWAY SHOTS! Id recommend cheap broadheads as the best for pheasants unfortunately. A snaro would be good too. Id think field tips with shock attachment would get you by for now.

You really need good arrow flight for arials.

You also need a good pheasant dog, like my ol Springer Spaniel, "Kit"...
The element of surprise can never be replaced by persistence.

Shadowhntr

#6 Post by Shadowhntr »

Above all...DONT RUSH, and try to stay calm.

Longtrad

#7 Post by Longtrad »

I have shot a few cardboard boxes tossed in the air with limited success but quit because I wasnt using flu flus and kept loosing arrows. I'm also wondering how much flu flu is going to be enough and how much is too much, I'm going to do try and do a little testing before it gets dark when I get home.

It seems if you use blunts then you would be putting more faith in the arrow dragging the bird down than killing it?

Shadowhntr

#8 Post by Shadowhntr »

Unless you break backbone or skull, you wont likely find them where they hit the ground. You NEED a dog badly. Knowing what I know about pheasants, im thinking they will drag your arrow farther then you could imagine. Id definitely use field tips with shock collar over blunts. Them are hard headed tough birds you're dealing with.

I can tell you full hieght 5 1/4" fletching x3 in goose feather for fluflu, slowed the arrow, but it will still go a long way. Id use spiral if i were you....in bright orange!

Ole Dave

#9 Post by Ole Dave »

Pheasants are some of the toughest birds out there...

I grew up chasing ringnecks!

We used to say, "don't stop popping caps till they stop flapping flaps"...they hit the ground alive, they will run like a 1/4-horse!

If retrievers are used, it pretty much has been said that rules out small broad heads, but if no dogs, that'd be my choice...

They be tough critters!

Oh, yea, shoot where they're gonna be not where they are! :roll: :lol:
All we have and call our own, once belonged to someone else, and will again. Our purpose here is not to serve ourselves.

Bigfoot SAS LB (47# LB limbs 38# Semi Static RC limbs)

Couple of old Bear bows

Longtrad

#10 Post by Longtrad »

I found an old muzzy 3 blade out in the canyons this summer. I think I will use that for my first arrow and see how it goes. I just have house dogs so they are of no help. Maybe I will toss a couple Eskimos at them. I'm not sure if my friend takes a dog or not

Return to “Bow Hunting experiences”