Site Admin

Re: Pheasant hunting? What tips?

#16 Post by Carpdaddy »

Here's a tip; have fun and laugh at yourself a lot! :lol: :lol:

Longtrad

#17 Post by Longtrad »

Well my buddy took me to his bird spots last week

Man hunting pheasant and quail is so much fun! I think I may have caught the bug, The bird numbers were good enough to keep us hunting all day and the action was pretty fast and furious.

Shooting one with the bow was even hard than I imagined, those quail are dang fast but the pheasant were even faster. My buddy and his brother had a good laugh at me flicking arrows but I did finally manage to "hit" a quail in the air. By "hit" I mean he made the mistake of flying into the path my arrow was taking and my arrow just barely nicked the tip of his right wing. Didn't even bust a feather off but is sure made me excited and I even got some eye witnesses lol.

I had one chance at a hen that would have been reasonable, she popped up about 3 yards in front of me and fly straight before diving back into the cover about 20 yards ahead, when she jumped up she spooked me and my arrow fell of the string... :( ol butter fingers I guess.

My other favorite memory was at the end of a long push, we had worked all this nasty thick brush and grass down into a little point, I was standing in the middle of what was left of the brush/grass and we were all taking about how it was weird that we didnt spook any birds up. I took a step and about a second later 20 some quail flew up out of that little 5 yard squar patch of grass. LOL what a rush!

I ended up changing over to judos because we were doing a lot of running and I didnt really want to poke myself, I ended up switching over to the shotgun about half way through too.

We only got 3 pheasant but lost 1. The quail hunting was a lot better, we nearly got our limit on them. I didn't even know we had that many birds out here, the numbers are starting to come back it looks like :)

Shadowhntr

#18 Post by Shadowhntr »

Awesome! Man I miss bird hunting! Sounds like you had a blast and I can still sense your excitement!
The element of surprise can never be replaced by persistence.

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#19 Post by Carpdaddy »

Sounds like a great time for sure! Never tried bird hunting with a bow but it has to be a blast.

Mohawk

#20 Post by Mohawk »

Sounds like a great hunt! And congrats on your hit, that's a lot closer than I'd have gotten. Shadow and I used to hunt quail with pretty good success. He had 2 of the best dogs I'd ever been behind. I had a pretty fair pointer growing up, but just like any pointer I have hunted with, she liked to keep her distance. I haven't hunted quail due to low numbers since the early 90s. Dang I miss it.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#21 Post by Captainkirk »

Sounds like a ton of fun, Clay!
I've hunted birds with a shottie but never a bow. And quail are fast little buggers! If you hit even one you have my respect!
Aim small, miss small!

Longtrad

#22 Post by Longtrad »

I really cant take any credit for the one I hit, it was actually on my second shot so it's not like I was practiced up. Just somehow or another the bird and the arrow ended up at about the same place at the same time, pretty lucky really, but it sure made me excited.

I can see where a good dog that doesnt run too far in front of you would be very handy for spooking up birds, and for retreating them of course. There were only 3 of us so I'm sure there were a lot of birds we just walked past and didnt get spooked up.

Longtrad

#23 Post by Longtrad »

The bow was a lot of fun for me and I will do it again but just for fun really. It is hard, I didnt get very many birds that played nice and gave me good shots. Maybe a different hunting strategy would help and be better for bowhunting. Like I said we did a lot of running and gunning, I guess to force the quail to fly so they wouldnt just keep running away from us.

Shadowhntr

#24 Post by Shadowhntr »

Longtrad wrote:Just somehow or another the bird and the arrow ended up at about the same place at the same time, pretty lucky really

Bro, thats the name of the game. Its not luck. You shot the arrow for the bird to fly into. Its the exact same with shotgun, they gotta fly into your string of shot....with the exception being dead away or dead on.
The element of surprise can never be replaced by persistence.

Return to “Bow Hunting experiences”