How to miss a Deer real good!

Tell us your Traditional Bow Hunting experiences
Forum rules
Discuss all aspects of the hunt.
Carpdaddy
Site Admin

How to miss a Deer real good!

#1 Post by Carpdaddy »

I think I am becoming a professional at this but here I go again. Sat in a tree this evening, as the sun faded and darkness was approaching there were several deer in the field near my stand. I watch and yearned from a distance but just before last light I see one approaching my stand. I stand up in the seat portion of my ladder stand because the deer is coming from behind and I got to get up where I can shoot between the two large limbs I am nestled in. I was able to make it out enough to determine it was a doe so I leaned over inside the two limbs sticking my bow through for a shot as she came within 15 yards of my tree. She is about to pass to where I can't twist any farther to stay on her but I need her to clear the limbs hanging down between us. I thought she was there when I shot but after seeing my fancy new lighted nock fly one way and pieces of the arrow in other directions I knew better. Not positive but it looked like my arrow broke before reaching the deer. If I hit her at all it was with the back portion of the shaft, no idea where the broadhead and front went?? :lol: :oops: I did manage to find a small piece of my arrow but the head and nock left this planet. The deer ran out a little piece and stopped trying to determine what just happened, I was doing the same. Except I wasn't laughing; I think the deer was. :mrgreen:
But I got to go, saw deer, and got to shoot!

Shadowhntr

Re: How to miss a Deer real good!

#2 Post by Shadowhntr »

Though no meat (or work!) was produced, youstill got the rush of the shot! There is still time Tony!
The element of surprise can never be replaced by persistence.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#3 Post by Captainkirk »

I can't figure out if you are educating us or amusing us... 8-)
JK. Seriously, it happens to all of us. Just the fact you are out there this year is reason to celebrate!
Aim small, miss small!

Ole Dave

#4 Post by Ole Dave »

I'll add any known miss is better then a questionable hit...

We used to try all manner of wild shots like that at 3D shoots just to see if it were possible...usually we learned they were NOT.

I DID make some shots I'd never take in the wild... Warm weather, warmed up shooting, and no risk of wounding can impact performance where in field conditions, not so...

Bummer you lost the two most expensive parts of the arrow (or 3) Insert, head and lighted nock. :?
All we have and call our own, once belonged to someone else, and will again. Our purpose here is not to serve ourselves.

Bigfoot SAS LB (47# LB limbs 38# Semi Static RC limbs)

Couple of old Bear bows

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#5 Post by Carpdaddy »

Know way of knowing what actually happened after the arrow was released but it certainly didn't look right! All I know is that I missed the deer, lost an a Carbon Express arrow, a brass insert, a lighted nock, and a Grizzly broadhead! Thanks for reminding me Dave. :oops: :oops: :lol: :lol:

Ole Dave

#6 Post by Ole Dave »

They are still making all those components!

Still better then a wounding shot!
All we have and call our own, once belonged to someone else, and will again. Our purpose here is not to serve ourselves.

Bigfoot SAS LB (47# LB limbs 38# Semi Static RC limbs)

Couple of old Bear bows

Longtrad

#7 Post by Longtrad »

Haha you know someone must be playing a joke on you when you get to find the middle of the arrow but no ends. I like how you share your not so glorious hunting story with us, thanks for keeping me entertained,

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#8 Post by Carpdaddy »

Went back yesterday evening, this time they came out on the other side of the field, and stayed there!

Shadowhntr

#9 Post by Shadowhntr »

Thats cause Tonysquatch kept throwing sticks at em!
The element of surprise can never be replaced by persistence.

Longtrad

#10 Post by Longtrad »

heck yeah! that is my method at least,

keep trying until something sticks.

Return to “Bow Hunting experiences”