Is anyone else fed up with public hunting?

Tell us your Traditional Bow Hunting experiences
Forum rules
Discuss all aspects of the hunt.
Captainkirk
Site Admin

Is anyone else fed up with public hunting?

#1 Post by Captainkirk »

Yeah, I know...I know. For some of us, it's all we've got.
But I am getting fed up with the rules and restrictions posed by the DNR in order to hunt these public lands.
I know some states are far worse than others, but let's hear about YOUR neck of the woods and what you can/can't do...
Aim small, miss small!

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

Re: Is anyone else fed up with public hunting?

#2 Post by Carpdaddy »

Here in Ky we are blessed with a lot of public land to hunt, I don't know of many restrictions other than the obvious, like cutting trees and such like. There are some that is treated differently but most I can just go and hunt. I have done so many times and been successful doing so. What type rules and restrictions are you referring too?

Shootalot

#3 Post by Shootalot »

Our public hunting here in Oklahoma has pretty much the same rules as the private land but possibly a little more bow friendly. Instead of a sixteen day rifle season, it is cut down to nine days and then back to archery only. Also during the nine days of rifle season on public, it is bucks only. There are a few areas that are archery only except for special draw hunts.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#4 Post by Captainkirk »

Shootalot wrote:Our public hunting here in Oklahoma has pretty much the same rules as the private land but possibly a little more bow friendly. Instead of a sixteen day rifle season, it is cut down to nine days and then back to archery only. Also during the nine days of rifle season on public, it is bucks only. There are a few areas that are archery only except for special draw hunts.
Welcome to the forum, Gordon!
Aim small, miss small!

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#5 Post by Carpdaddy »

Yes welcome Gorden, join right in.
There is a difference here in Ky in the public land hunting. Some places cost extra and have more restrictions and others are just tracts of Daniel Boone National Forest and pretty much just wide open. Some of the State Parks have draw hunts that have greater restrictions, but all in all we have it good here when it comes to accessible public hunting.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#6 Post by Captainkirk »

Well, public hunting here in Illinois is confined and very restricted despite what the DNR rules and regs publish about "preserving our rich heritage", etc. It's all liberal bull****.
Consider this;
*Where I live, the nearest public hunting open to all without drawing or lottery, is a minumum 45 minute drive. Otherwise you are looking at 1 hour plus drive
*Archery season does not open until October 1st...two weeks later than most surrounding states, and a full month later than some
*On PHL, it is "first come, first serve"...this means you need to be waiting in your car, in line, at the time the parks open (5:00 am). If they have 25 spots and you are #26, turn around and go home. Too bad, so sad.
*No using of screw in steps for your stand-ladder stands or climbing sticks only (you could use climbing stands but there are too many low branches to be practical)
*Speaking of the above, NO LIMBING OR BRUSH TRIMMING ALLOWED
*You MAY NOT leave your stand up overnight on public land. That's right; carry in, carry out. Yeah...that 60 pound ladder stand....
*You must obtain permission from adjacent land owners (naturally) to track any wounded animal. They can deny you the right.

This is just off the top of my head...there are more (I will look them up and post later). Kinda makes you want to hunt around here, doesn't it? Yeah, me neither.
Aim small, miss small!

Shadowhntr

#7 Post by Shadowhntr »

Most of that, not all, is taken right out of the Federal public hunting regs for Federally operated ground. Sounds like Illinois is following the Federal mandates instead of making their own that COULD make better sense, and what is actually best for both hunter, and environment. Fed ground mandates give a rip less about people. Most (not all) our Fed ground has the same rules, but since its Kansas residents working there that work closely with State Wildlife, they only enforce Kansas State law regardless.... on paper....they follow federal rules, but in reality... they actually follow the State rules, thus effectively flipping the Feds the bird!

But also fyi kirk, Ive been driving 50 minutes 1 way to hunt public ground ive been hunting over the last 3 seasons. I do have some very close, but there is a lot of people to contend with. An hour, a fella can get use to, but it does tend to limit you to staying in the area all day, and no week days unless you have it off from work.
The element of surprise can never be replaced by persistence.

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#8 Post by Carpdaddy »

I drive 30 minutes one way to get to the private property I hunt, and it is also open to anyone who ask, I wouldn't think twice about driving 45 to have access to open hunting property. Most of the regs are pretty standard, I use a climber on public land, always pack it out also. I have put in for some of the Park hunts in the past but don't do it much, that's where they get more restrictive. Do a search on Google Maps for public hunting land, I have been surprised by how much there was near me that I didn't know about. The fish & wildlife site is sometimes helpful.

Shootalot

#9 Post by Shootalot »

Thanks for the welcome guys. Good to be here.

Longtrad

#10 Post by Longtrad »

Colorado is pretty strict about somethings, most the stuff is the same as private land though as far as I know.

Some differences are there is a season for prairie dogs on public land and not for private. Also you can spot light for coyotes on private but need a 24 hour permit to do it on public.

IMO you should be able to shoot prairie dogs out of the car window on your own land, but I dont get to make the rules :(

They just made light up nocks legal last year! no electronics ...blahblah

Return to “Bow Hunting experiences”